What do you think about all these online schools?

Do you think alot of kids are going to start using this, and computers will replace teachers?
Or do you think things will stay the same? I'm for school. I feel like I would be depriving my children socially, and educationally by not sending them to school. I know there are some people who totally disagree. What do you think?

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in

• I think the online schools for kids are like sending your kid to the public schools. they ARE public schools, just online.

And socialization is never a problem for kids who learn at home. In fact, it's usually less of a problem because they have more time during the day to volunteer, be active in clubs and sports, and to play then kids who spend all day at government ran schools and then come home to do a couple more hours of homework.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I personally attended an online school for my senior year because I got pregnant (oops!) and needed to work during the day.

Honestly, I was able to finish and get my HS diploma, but I do NOT think it would be a good idea. I am a motivated learner so I think I did decently well in that setting, but it just wouldn't work for a lot of students. You have to know how to pace yourself and stay on top of things; otherwise, it's too easy to let it all slide and "learn" everything for a semester in the matter of a week or two.

That doesn't even touch on the social growth that school provides!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think they are a great option for some. There are people that just can't get their needs met at a traditional school and there are places where you don't have school choices. Choice is important.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I did some high school classes through the Internet and they were a lot easier, they help you if you need help, instead of having to go through a book you study for the tests on the same site, and they show you your score when your done... You can take the same test as many times as you want until your happy with your school, and it is a faster way to graduate because once your done your done you dont have to wait for the school year to finish, and they can go ahead and let you work on the next grade once you have finished the work for the previous grade:)
    Danielle55

Answer by Danielle55 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think it can be a good option for some kids, as long as parents don't think they'll be able to just sit their kids in front of the computer and learning will magically happen. There needs to be some interaction, either from a teacher and/or from a parent, not just through a screen, and some kids need more than others.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I could have benefitted from an online school, but growing up in the 70s and 80s, that obviously wasn't an option. I'm hearing impaired and always had a hard time understanding my teachers and my grades suffered for it. I consider myself to be a very intelligent person but if you were to look at my school records, you would think "damn, she's an idiot." I graduated from high school with a 1.69 GPA and if it had not been for my principal (who was a wonderful man, RIP), I probably wouldn't have graduated at all. Same thing happened when I went to college in the 90s. Now kids with disabilites have advocates or helpers that assist them. I didn't and I don't know if they were even available. Last year I went back to school to finish my degree and I chose an online college. I was able to get them to provide a closed-captioning service for the chats so that helped alot. I graduated with a 3.93 GPA. So yes I do see the benefits.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think that online learning is of course going to be different from going to regular classroom setting since you aren't exactly going to be surrounded by actual people. However, online is a time saving way to study and cut out the commuting time. The way I see it they both have pluses and minuses.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My kids do online school the computer does not take the place of the teacher we still have a teacher they do classes online and they do confrences over the phone my children are not infront of the computer all day there is a lot of work that is done off line and my DS was in regular brick and mortor school was not learning and sat by himself at recess, he improved 180pts in both math and reading this yr, and he has been doing boys hip hop dance for 4 yrs and the teacher noticed this yr he came out of his shell and was interacting with the other kids (this is after pulling him out of brick and mortar school for a yr) our school has all kinds of things we do as groups we take field trips have days they meet up a parks and lots of other things. I know I made the right choice in putting mine in online school.
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Im in a Hybrid class, half the work is in the classroom and half is on the computer..it really helps because i dont spend so much in gas because we only me 1-2 times a week. It also helps u work at ur own pace.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 1:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think that as long as the school is accredited, offers various support services, and a curriculum that is the same or better than the school the child would be attending then it would be an option. Some people have the idea that online school is easier than brick and mortar school, but most of the time it's not. The college I attend, Liberty University Online, has a program for school age children as well. If it were up to me, I'd rather my kids go there instead. plus if they pick Liberty for college, it's free!
    psych_mom

Answer by psych_mom at 2:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010