Organic Pesticide Recipe?

I've got some ants chewing up my squash in my garden. I'm wondering if any one has a super simple pesticide recipe I can use that's not really bad for my plants or my family - after all, we will be eating these...

I really don't want to collect and crush dead bugs either.. lol I've seen that recipe and it makes me nauseous just to think about it... haha

Thanks!

sweetheart1985

Asked by sweetheart1985 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• They use lime on grass for fleas.I don't know if it kills other bugs.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• some people say that diluting dish soap with water works & that it's "natural" But i don't find it to be too natural... What worked for us is letting some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (what ever you have that is hot & spicy) sit in some water over night. Then strain out the crap & put in a spray bottle & spray your veggies. This worked pretty good. You can experiment with different spices..i heard neem oil works really well too./ I can't remember which spice worked well for me, but i tried several different hot spices & they all worked pretty good. An no, it does not effect the flavor of the veggie. It will all wash off when it rains, so you have to reapply. But, that happens with chemical ones too.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• found this for you, hope it helps!

http://www.squidoo.com/Organic-Garden-Pesticides

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Thank you!

So. You think if I mix vegetable oil, cayenne pepper, crushed pepper, garlic powder and water... that it will work? LOL I'm ready to go at this in full force, baby! =D
    sweetheart1985

Comment by sweetheart1985 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Diatomaceous earth is safe to consume but will kill ants.. dish soap is very effective against ants as well
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I've heard rumors about cayenne, bay leaves, borax, and cinnamon! Hope you find something that works.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010