Talking to SIL about swearing.

My SIL curses like a sailor in front of their 1yo and our 3yo. Even at the dinner table last weekend when we had Christmas in July dinner. We're talking F-bombs and sh*t, not just pissed or hell (not that those are any better). I have no problems asking my FIL, husband, brother or any of the uncles to watch their language but for some reason I can't seem to get up the nerve to say something to her. Maybe it's because she's a mom and I don't want her to feel like I'm judging her parenting skills. Either way, how do I politely ask her to please watch her language when they kids (especially my son) are around?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 12:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• I would say, I understand that your LO isn't repeating such words yet, but my child is starting to, would you mind watching your language so that it doesn't become an issue later.
    yezay

Answer by yezay at 12:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would ask you DH to do it. Or you can just teach your children that those are adult words and when they are adults they can say them if they wish. That's just me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• then you should say it to her yourself.but aproach her in a non threatening way about it.If she gets upset then you will have to choose what to do after that.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Just say, oh, no, honey... (baby's name) is in the parroting stage... can you watch that for right now?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Throw a drink in her face
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The thing is, she is sitting right there when I ask the guys to watch their language and once when our son repeated my FIL saying "What the hell?!" she just started laughing. She actually said she can't wait till her son starts swearing because it's "so cute". 8-|
    I think next time it happens I'll just mention it to her again, casually. Then if that doesn't work I'll throw a drink in her face. ;-)
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If it's at your house, tell her that if she can't respect your wishes of not swearing in front of your children, then she isn't welcome.

Please don't throw a drink in her face. That is stupid, childish and VERY immature and will NOT accomplish what you are wanting. It will actually result in MORE swearing.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Oh gosh I would NEVER throw anything at anyone! I was being silly because of someone else's answer. Thus the ;-) after the comment. lol
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010