My daughter's tongue...

changes colors...sort of. My old pediatrician was new. Like- just acquired her own office right out of school kind of new she was 29!! lol and she told me the moving discoloration of my daughter's toungue is referred to as "Geographic Tongue." I've never heard it before. It doesn't bother her (she's 4) but she's had it for almost 2 yrs maybe?? It's like this whitish layer that changes shapes all over her tongue.....

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Benign Migratory Glossitis is technical term, normal, just she has slightly less papilla on her tongue. I have it and I am a hygienist and see it in some of my patients. Just deviation of normal. I do not make a big deal about it, I usually casually tell my patients just so they know what it is. Do not worry.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• OMG....I have always had this....people have commented to me that my tongue was white before and it embarrassed me b/c I have always brushed my teeth and tongue well and used mouthwash. Went to the Dentist regularly.

I have NEVER heard of this...I will have to check into this!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:37 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son has had it his whole life. A daycare provider tried to tell me it was thrush. Ugh! It is normal.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I just googled some pictures of this and OMG I HAVE THIS!!!! Its not as severe as some of the pictures I saw (thank goodness) but it did look like some of the more mild cases!

Wow! You taught me something today! Why has a dentist never said this to me?

And by the way, about your dd...mine has never bothered me as far as hurting or anything. It has just embarrassed me from time to time when people ask why my tongue is white.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have this but never knew there was a name for it just thought it was wierd.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my 19 yr old best friend has it and has never bothered her. if anything wen we were young we used to see what pattern or shapes were on it each day.
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 1:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2010