What do you do...

What do you do when you want to believe in the faith you grew up in, but you just can't because it doesn't seem real to you anymore? I really want to believe, but I can't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• that's what growing up is all about. you come into your own way of thinking, and leave behind 'childish' things. if you're mature enough to realize you no longer believe what was taught in your childhood, you're mature enough to own your newly-realized belief.
    nothing like being true to yourself!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I've just about done them all except for jewish, catholic , muslim, and jehovah's withness.Now I am Methodist, and have a wonderful church family.do what makes you and your family happy.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Stop lying to myself and be honest wiht myself about what I do believe.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i searched my own feelings and discovered that I didn't honestly believe that way and never really had. Then I dropped the idea of religion altogether and looked inside to find my true faith and beliefs. I am MUCH happier now.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• To thine own self be true.   William Shakespeare.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I was raised Catholic. I am now an agnostic. I hope a lot of the church teachings are true, like heaven etc., but I question a lot of the teachings also. You are questioning. It is normal and healthy.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• ...look elsewhere.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Follow your heart. Learn to listen to what it is your heart is saying. Its part of walking down your own spiritual path....and being ok with it, regardless of others' opinion of it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Don't be afraid to ask questions. Maybe you know what the church teaches, but you don't know why. Ask "WHY". If you don't want to ask the pastor or your parents/family the "whys" then you can ask here on Answers, or in the Religious Debate forum, or maybe your religion has it's own forum on Cafemom. Many popular religions have their own websites and forums on the internet now, such as www.Catholic.com where you can find load of info to answer your "whys".
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 3:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When that happened, I went on a journey for what I did believe and have been very happy and at peace ever since.

You cant force yourself to believe and expect to find happiness that way.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010