Would you move to a 3rd world country?

Here is the situation. My hubbys dad is Haitian, and is starting an charity there. He goes back and forth to Haiti and the US, and is always keeping us updated about all that is going on there. We have been descussing moving there for 6 months-1year to help out with the organization and for me to teach English. I know we can do a tremendous amount of good, and also enjoy the adventure. However, my children are ages 7, 3, and 1. We wouldn't be able to leave for a couple years, so my kids will be 9, 5, and 3 at least. There is a great private Christian school there that we know is quality, so school is not an issue. It is not an area of Haiti that was affected by the earthquake, and my father in law and his kids have lived there many times so I feel it is safe....what would you do?

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 12:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Travel

• I would go in a heart beat. It's so much fun to live in different area and learn new things. Plus the life style there is probablly pretty kick back and the quality of life in general is better. Cheaper to live there too and you cant beat the nice tropical weather.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My daughter recently secured a job and moved to Quito, Ecuador. She is single and recently received her MA degree. I do not know if I could do it-

it's great to be young and adventurous.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• No I would not. I would not take my children there either. Sorry but that's just me.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Wow....I have to say I am surprised...y not exactly?
    momof3josephs

Comment by momof3josephs (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I probably would as long as I could find decent schooling for them. The world in general is a class room and helping those in need is such a good thing. Talk about a good life lesson.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would do it. What a wonderful experience for your kids to learn about a totally different culture and learning about helping those in need. I say go for it and have fun!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• That was my thought, that they would be learning a different language, culture, etc...also, they would be seeing a part of their history because they are 1/4 Haitian.
    momof3josephs

Comment by momof3josephs (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would prefer not to but if God told me to I would
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• No.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010