why do women automatically think that they will get the kids in a divorce?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 12:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Because most states favor the mother unless there's good reason not to.
    yezay

Answer by yezay at 12:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Mothers are favored in most states. It is now 2010 though and alot of men are taking there children.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I agree, most states favor mommas.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think it is that way because either the woman is a stay at home mom and it'd be too expensive to take the kids to daycare or have a sitter while working if they were left with the husband AND unless your proven unfit, thats just the way it is according to the courts.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• because the courts used to side with the mother most of the time.
    I think they should look at them equally.
    I've seen the same problem as we speak with relatives of my own. Mommy seems to think that her way should be first if Daddy disagrees with what she does.
    then he just does what he thinks should be done behind her back.

Mommy's care and love does not automatically come first over Daddy.
    Anonymous

• I think that is dumb, don't fathers have rights to there own children? Most the women that I know who get the children don't even get have jobs and are required to get one and there ex always pay more child support and they stilll aren't satisfied
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• HIstorically, it was believed that mothers were better parents so the courts tended to side with the mother. In this day and age, this is becoming less and less common.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I automatically assumed it, because I knew how my exhusband was--I had spent years living with him.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Unfortunately, a lot of states do still favor the mother, but this is becoming increasingly less popular as the general rule.

Just because you birthed it, does not mean that you are the best candidate to care for the child, or can provide for his/her needs more effectively. The courts are beginning to acknowledge this, and Daddies are finally (slowly) gaining traction, and enforcing their rights.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I've known some men who desired 50% custody. In california, you can do that. Other fathers I've known felt it was in the best interest in their younger children to be in one home because it is more stable for the child. Then they would spend time with them on weekends or as much as they could. I've had 50 50 custody of my daughter who is now 14 with my ex. It has proven to be very chaotic because she has 2 households and 2 sets of rules. My ex is great with her and our daughter wants to be with both of us. But I still see it as not as calm and sane as one household. But with divorce - it can get crazy.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2010