If your neighbor had a dog that was visibly underfed, would you...

talk to them first and then report them to animal control if there was no improvement, or would you just forget all that and make the phone call to animal control right away?

lizard111

Asked by lizard111 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Definately speak with the neighbor to find out if the dog has medical issues. We have a dog (she did look super thin) that a neighbor ran their mouth about saying she was never feed, than took matters in his own hands and feed her people food which did nothing but cause more problems for our dog. It has taken time to figure out her problem but she has an intolerance to anything with wheat, so no matter how much she eats if it has wheat it goes right through her and none of the nutrients are absorbed. Now that she is on special food and finally filling out we have to hope no one feeds her while she is running in the fenced in yard.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 6:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I made a mistake of not calling animal control once. We had a neighbor that had a rottweiler, very friendly. They kept it on a chain in their backyard and every once in a while would put the dog in their garage. I felt so bad for this dog, it was being treated so poorly. We left for vacation and when we returned I hadn't seen the dog again. One of their kids came over to play with my son and I asked him what to their doggy. He told my that she choked to death by her chain. I was so upset and angry at my self for not doing something about it when I could have.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would talk to them first because there could be a medical reason or even behavioral. My oldest dog is very picky about what she eats and it took me years to get her to eat consistantly. She was treated badly as a young dog and it left "emotional scars", so to speak. There were times that Reagan looked like she was never fed because she would go through phases where she would refuse to eats for days. I had bloodwork done several times and it all came back normal. But I would keep an eye on the dog and call animal control if you feel it is truly neglect and speaking to the neighbors
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would throw food over the fence when they weren't around. The poor thing! But I like your idea of calling animal control too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If it was a friendly approachable neighbor I may talk to them first and see if they needed help with the food or whatnot. Find out why they are not feeding the poor animal. Then I'd keep an eye on the situation and make the call if necessary.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would call animal control. Your neighbors won't know it was you who called.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• they have to see that their dog is skinny.Maybe they are poor, take a bag of dog food and see if it improves.If it doesn't, call animal control.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• feed the dog and then report the neighbors to human pet society or whateva city animal division
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Depends what my neighbour was like. If they were unapproachable I would probably just call animal control...if its a misunderstanding fair enough..if not then the dog gets saved.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would feed him!

Answer by older at 1:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010