how do you disiplen your 1 to 2year old? what works?

my son has started hitting, bitting, pinching, and ignoring me, i know its probably a stage but what can i do besides spanking , to get him to be good?what works for your toddler? hes 19 mos.

mrsaustin271

Asked by mrsaustin271 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Consistency in whatever punishment you choose is the biggest factor of success.

Personally I do this: ( it can be draining for you at first, but if you're consistent it'll work, not the first day, but after a few times)

Put a gate up in their rooms doorway so they can't leave the room. ( of course make sure it's childproofed the area)
    Get down on the childs level and say it is not okay to hit pinch (or whatever the behavior is)
    So you're going to time out for 3 min. If you're good for 3 min. you can come out.
    Pick them up put them in the room.

If you don't have a gate and they keep running out, then you keep putting them back in there until they get tired of it and stay. ( that's where you'll feel the pain it may wear you out.)

Make a " NAME'S BEHAVIOR CHART"
    Get stickers and put the weekdays down. Let them put the sticker on for every day that they go without pinching hitting and what not. Get a treat f
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My DD is 24 months and a lot of the time TALKING to her works wonders! We also do time outs, taking toys/movies/treats away, and very rarely we do spank her (but 99% of the time it is resolved before we get to the point of a spanking).

Also, I wanted to add, spanking for hitting is a HORRIBLE idea, it makes no sense.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• There are some good books out there that can help with discipline. Dr Phil's is supposedly great. Find your child's "currency", that thing or activity which is most important to him, and withhold that as punishment.

Time out can be effective too. Make the length of time appropriate for his age and be consistent. Do not talk to him if you have to take him back to the time out spot. People give up on time out because the child has to be returned to the spot. It can take a long time before he stays there. Whatever method you pick do it every time and stay consistent and stay calm.

Make sure he also is getting enough one on one time with you and hubby. That he is getting praise for the things he does right. And lots of hugs and kisses.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Hold his arms so he stops the behavior. Get down to his eye level and yell NO really loud. Shock the behavior with a very loud yell every time. That's what my Pediatrician told us & it works. We don't spank.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• am I the only one who questions disciplining a kid before they are 2 at least? before hand they are just babies and no one really knows how much verbal communication they truly understand for just one point, and even then if differs from kid to kid.

I guess I don't get it.
    Anonymous

• If my son ever does something as bad as biting he gets a firm no and a slight tap on his mouth so he knows that is what offended me then he takes a time out in his crib. If he ignores me I just go get him myself. I don't think that warrants a punishment. For anything in between distractions work wonders. If the child is getting into something you don't want them to then distract them with something else and they stop immediately.

PS you can spank a child without beating them. Don't expect the worst from everyone.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Get a treat for every 3-5 stickers that are put up on the board. You can get ( all a dollar) trinkets.

When you notice that your little one doesn't hit, plays nice, or doesn't pinch be sure to compliment that behavior. I really like it when you play nice like this. I really like when you don't hit. It makes me so happy. I'm so proud of you. Let's go put a sticker on your behavio chart.

Toddlers like to please their parents and elders. They're still learning.

Hang in there and good luck! :D
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• spanking is still hitting. I agree with fatgirl239's post.
    Anonymous

• well anonymous, my 19 month old can almost understand every thing i say to him, and he is already speaking in 3 word sentences. he know this behavior is bad but he is trying to see how far he can go. and yes when your child walks up to some on elses child and his them you cant stand there and do nothing because they are to young to understand, thats silly!! disiplin has to start early or kids will do what ever they want or get hurt touching things they shoulnt play with, like the stove for example! thanks others for the tips!!
    mrsaustin271

Comment by mrsaustin271 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• mrsaustin271 I agree with you. Discipline started early is not a bad thing, and can be very beneficial. If it's done consistently and in a good manor.

Rewarding positive behavior and preventing negative behavior. No one wants to go to play dates and not be able to stop their child from biting. pinching, and hitting. 

Really just be consistent, don't yell, get on their level and in a stern tone say what needs to be said, reward the positive. Eventually the bad behaviors will weed out. Or happen far less often, and when they do and you give the punishment for it. They'll go with it. 

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010