mandatory sewer tie-in costs?

We live in the incredibly economically depressed Rust Belt in NE Ohio - we bought our house five years ago in the township. The town ran a sewer line down our area and sent us all lovely letters stating we had 90 days to tie in or face "penalties". From where I sit at my front window, 8 of the 9 houses I see are occupied by individuals on fixed incomes (retirees or SSD) - I think dh is the only one employed on this road! Has anyone here ever tied their property into the town sewer, or received such a letter and didn't tie in? What were the "penalties"? Our septic is six years old and works perfectly, and yeah, we are flat broke. HELOC is out of the question since our LTV is too high since we just bought the house a few years back.

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 1:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Get together with your neighbors, draw up a petition, and remind the city council that they work for you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When I lived in MA we had the option of using the sewer or staying with our septic system. It was not mandatory. I'd call the city department that sent the letter and ask about hardship cases. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We spoke to the township commissioner (he used to be on a pool league with our neighbor - go figure, small town politics), and he's pointing the finger at the Trumbull County Health Department, which in turn pointed the finger at the State of Ohio Department of Health. I don't think they understand that squeeze + rock does not = $$. Four of my neighbors said they are ignoring the order and letting the bank forclose on their homes.
    plylerjones

Comment by plylerjones (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I agree that maybe a petition sent to the right office might help. Or if that doesn't work (and you really don't have the money) and the offending office wont cut you a break.... see if the media is interested in running a piece on it. The bigger the spot light, the less they want to force you to do something like give up your home.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010