What advice would you offer someone learning to drive a stick shift?

"Get an automatic!" is not an option. :P

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 1:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Great question! My husband is bringing home a new car tonight and it'll be a stick. Luckily I have my automatic but if I ever want to drive his I have to learn. I'll be waiting for answers too. bump =D
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Make sure the person you are learning with can afford a new clutch! LOL Just kidding!
    I still haven't learned to drive my DH's car. He won't let me touch it since I wrecked the clutch in his last one. Though he is starting to loosen up a bit and might be trying to show me how to drive it after he had to borrow my car when his broke down... I was left stranded and he had to do the grocery shopping. ROFL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 1:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• How do you wreck a clutch??
    sojourner.

Comment by sojourner. (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Be very gentle with the clutch and release it very slowly.........you will feel the car begin to pull so as you ease up on the clutch...ease equally down on the gas. Some cars have firmer pedals than others though. For instance, I had a VW Jetta, and the clutch was FIRM. I had a BMW 318i (first car) and the clutch was very soft, therefore VERY sensitive). My favorite to drive was an Acura legend....super easy clutch...so if it's an Acura or a Honda...it should be a breeze! What kind of car are you driving?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• By riding it (meaning keeping it pushed in all the time). Though I think his clutch was about to go anyway, he just used my driving his truck as the excuse. I can't seem to get the whole 2 foot driving thing in my head. LOL And I was horrible for grinding the gears too.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 1:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Take it out into a parking lot and practice there, the clutch gives out when not used properly, once you get the hang of it, it will come naturally and it is also like riding a bike once you learn you will never forget!

Answer by older at 1:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Make sure you are patient. It isn't as hard as you think. Find somewhere to practice where you don't have to worry about obstacles, like an empty parking lot, a gravel road that isn't traveled a lot, something like that. Practice with the one you will be driving because every manual vehicles drives differently, especially where the clutch catches and engages. I drove one for years and LOVED it. Don't let people freak you out. It is no big deal. Once you learn and practice you won't have any trouble with any manual after that.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes, older has a good point. Once you learn, you never forget! I can drive virtually any stick, although they are different from one car to the next...you learn very quickly to adapt to that car.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• RELAX. The more hyped up you get about stalling out or bucking, the more you'll do it. The secret is just finding the right combo of letting up on the clutch and pressing down on the gas. Let up the clutch too early, you'll buck the car and stall out. Hit the gas too much too early and you'll rev the engine and/or take off like a shot...lol.

Just go to an empty parking lot and practice. You'll do great. Promise. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• ^^^ sorry - meant let up the clutch too FAST, not too early.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010