How early shoud babies start eating solids?

When is a good time to start them on food and not just milk?

LeahAnnG

Asked by LeahAnnG at 1:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• When you get the ok from the pediatrician.... I think mine started on cereal around 5 months and then stage 1 veg at 6 months.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I had to start my son on baby cereal at 4 months because he was not tolerating milk at the time. This is premature for a regular child though. I would say 6 months is alright for baby food but I avoided real solid people food until he had a few good teeth.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When they're ready. Many pediatricians advocate starting between 4 and 6 months, but there's research that's shown that it's best to wait until 6 months or later. It really depends on the baby, though. Some signs to look for: baby is interested in what you're eating, he opens his mouth when offered food, he uses a pincer grasp (thumb and forefinger instead of whole hand) to pick up small objects, he can sit on his own, he's lost his tongue-thrust reflex (the instince to push foreign objects out of the mouth -- the only way to test this one is to try it and see). Regardless of when you start solids, though, remember that formula or breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition for the first year. Hope that helps!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think you shoudl watch their cues. Usually around 4-5 months is when they are ready, well for my son he was ready at 4 months. We started off with the green vegetables then the orange and yellows, then we went to fruits. He's a healthy eater and a healthy big boy now!
    BillieJean0401

Answer by BillieJean0401 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My daughter had her first few tastes around 6 months, but didn't eat solids on a regular basis until 7 or 8 months (once a day).
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• They say around 6 months, but it's really more when your child is ready. I started both of my girls earlier than that and I knew they were ready. it just depends on the kid.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Agreed. Books and Pediatricians say 6 months, well some babies show signs sooner, some later. Katelyn started on runny cereal at about 3 months. She's 7 months now and eats 3 meals a day....either stage 3 foods or regular food....for example she loves a scrambled egg for breakfast.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my hubby's doctor said if they are over ten pounds! all three of my kids have been eating homemade baby food since they were two months old! pissed the doctor right off! but as long as they stayied healthy she after the second one she just laughed.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2010