Poor baby!

For the last 2 days baby girl (13 months) has had diarrhea, she SCREAMS when I change her because her little toosh is so raw, I am keeping stuff on it but she goes so much it doesn't seem to be doing much. Recently I have given her grapes and apple-cherry juice, that's the only new thing that has been introduced to her this week. I was thinking this could be the cause because she acts fine otherwise. Anyone else have this issue when introducing new foods? Does this mean she can't tolerate it or her system is just not used to processing it? Could one or the other be too acidic?

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I give my son apple juice when he is constipated to help him have a BM, so it could be causing your little one to have diarrhea. Try cutting out the juice and like the others said wait a while and then reintroduce one at a time. Some babies digestive systems are more sensitive then others, so just follow the cues of your little one. Also, Bordeaux's Butt Paste is the very best we have found to treat my sons horrible diaper rashes he gets. He is cutting molars right now and has diarrhea frequently due to that, when he starts getting a rash we start caking the butt paste on and it's like a miracle worker! We had tried every other kind of diaper cream and even RX strength, nothing worked like the butt paste! Good luck mommy!
    BillieJean0401

Answer by BillieJean0401 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I'm allergic to cherries. - particularly the kind of pesticides they use on the cherries. Remove both new foods, wait a month, reintroduce one, and see if she has the same reaction.

Also, apple juice is very high in sugar. I use white grape and cut it with water.

Try a little cornstarch on her bottom for the rash.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would call the doc to be sure, but I would give her carrots and bananas to help with the hardening of her stools. Poor kiddo
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Apple juice is one of those things that actually cause diarrhea. Stop giving it to her immediately.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Apple juice might be the culprit. I know a lot of kids and adults that have issues with it. It is because of the Sorbitol in it. That is known to cause diarrhea.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't do corn starch....it makes a lot of people break out worse and is a perfect breeding ground for yeast. Let her air dry if you can.
    BradenIsMySon

• It could be a number of things, but since you just started giving her apple-cherry juice I believe it could be that. Niether of my kids can drink that kind of juice even deluted because it does the same to them. I would stop giving that kind of juice to her and if she gets better then just try to avoid giving that kind to her. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• it might be the appple juice my kids cannot drink apple juice and they are 2.5 and 5 years old everytime they drink even a little apple juice they get diarehea from it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• oh ya, but you might want to try air drying cause if she pees and you don't know it and with the heat it maybe causing her rash to get even worse. I would let her run around with no diaper for a little while or as long as possible
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Call the peditrician,

in the mean time don't put a diaper on during the day if the baby is raw, she might be allergic to something or she is very sensitive.

Good luck, poor baby.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010