Sexual Education in Kindergarten?? thoughts?

They're talking about starting sex ed in kindergarten, first teaching them about the proper names of body parts, how boys are different from girls, ect. in first grade, learning that people are attracted to the same gender, and it's ok. by the time they're 10 (5th grade) they are taught about various types of intercourse, anal, vaginal and oral.

since when is it the school/governements job to teach our children about sex? and at that age??? they should leave it to the PARENT! to introduce children, especially at such an early age, can get them interested in things too early. most kids aren't even intrested at that early an age! this could result a "show and tell" after class in the playground!

and everyone wonders why there is so much teen pregnancy, and why parents want their kids either homeschooled or in private school. i'll post links in the reply.

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I honestly don't like the idea of all that. I will teach my daughter soon enough, but 5 is just too young.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• http://radio.foxnews.com/2010/07/09/sex-education-for-kindergartners/#axzz0v07RzvfF

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/07/is_kindergarten_too_early_for.html

armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Personally, it upsets me that kids don't already know this stuff long before they start Kindergarten. But since they don't, I think the schools have to do their part! Not only do I support this program, but I feel it should be required in all schools... Truthful and Upfront information isn't something that should be a privilege for those who have decent parents, it should be a right! Education is the only way kids have any way to take charge of their own health and bodies, to deny them that education is neglectful at the least!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• how, may i ask, is it the exact wording if i wrote it? the first paragraph i got from a link, i didn't copy and paste it though. the rest of it was all my thoughts.
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Education children helps PREVENT teen pregnancy,does not encourage it. We had many years of them teaching abstinence only and it did no good at reducing the teen pregnancy rates. The problem is that parents are not involved in their kids lives enough. kids are allowed to go anywhere they please,cause hey,they got their cells,they're safe right!? Parents of today are afraid to say NO to their kids,they'd rather be their buddy. They adopt the attitude that they're gonna do it anyway,so what can I do? Boo hoo hoo! Your job as a parent is to keep them safe until 18. You should be doing this by any mean necessary. If parents aren't going to educate their kids about the truth of sex and disease,someone has to do it! You think 10 is too young? Ask half the young women on here at what age they started doing stuff with boys. I've seen,11,12,13.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• No worries here, we home school.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The simple fact is - like it or not - IF the PARENTS were responsible enough to teach this, the schools wouldn't have to... But as we see parents don't want that responsibility...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• "and everyone wonders why there is so much teen pregnancy, and why parents want their kids either homeschooled or in private school"

------

Teen pregnancy rates are actually down 40% in the last 20 years. Why? Because of sex education IN SCHOOLS! Bravo to this school district for informing kids about how their bodies work!

http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/national-data/pdf/pregrate_oct2006.pdf

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't agree with teaching them so much at age 5 but keeping their hands to their self, no body is allowed to touch you,stuff like that basically sticking to the basics would be ok. Not specifics, some kids at home don't get educated-they are the ones that need it and wind up thinking having a baby at 14 is ok, so that is why they do step in.

It is a twisted situation, normally in school if the parent does not sign the paper they can't teach them it. So, we are still in charge, and control of sex education.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• What??? before kindergarten?? most kids aren't even interested at that age!! my son is 3, still takes a bath with his 2yr old sister, and has never even asked! If they do start asking, it should be up to the parent to explain to them, and it should be at what they feel their kids understanding level is. some kids are more understanding than others. why take a bunch of kids, who all have different levels of learning, and teach them all this? if they have problems with their studies, the teacher and parent work together on this. there is no doubt that they both want the same thing. BUT when it comes to sex, they more than likely will NOT be on the same page and want the same for the child. the parents may think their child isn't ready, the teacher will push,because it is her job. working together on this will be very hard, if not impossible.
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010