Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do try to start a business from home or go to college and not really no what to do??

I want to open up a bakery in my area i want to first start from home to get it started, but i cant decide if i want to go to school this next semester either? if i go to school i cant decide what to do and if i start the bakery from home if it works out then ill have money coming in to help pay bills and get to stay home with my daughter!!! what would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by nicolerae8907 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 3 (19 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I'd start the bakery and go to a counselor at the school and get help deciding what to do. I would think culinary arts might be an avenue to pursue of you like baking.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

  • Start a business every time!

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

  • Go to community college so tuition is low and you can pay for it with grants and don't have to take out loans. If you need money you can get the loans and you don't have to pay them back until you are done with school and they are low interest. Two of my sons are going to community college.

    The college my sons attend offers credit student success courses. Becoming a Master Student was an awsome course and it had a great book. There is a course on making career decisions and you take tests to see what career would be best for you. My son that has a toddler took a child development course and a child nutrition course. He is a nurse and taking course to finish his BS. Email me and I can help you with college info. I went to college for years.


    Answer by Gailll at 2:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

  • I would go to school.

    Answer by Christina807 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

  • y would u pick one over the other/

    Comment by nicolerae8907 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

  • Well I would take some business management courses as well as cooking/baking classes. Starting any business food related can be difficult. You have to have an inspector look at your kitchen and you may have to do a LOT of changes to pass the inspection.

    Some regulations for having a business with food preparation in your home: The kitchen must be seperate from the living space, meaning you have to have a door that closes in any doorway leading to other rooms, in some states you need a seperate sink for pots/pans and another for hand washing. Sometimes you have to have different cookware and utensils from those you use in your home. You would also need a food-handling permit and pass the required course to acquire it.

    When a friend of mine tried to start an at home catering service the changes required by the inspector to bring the kitchen up to code was going to cost her about $10,000

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.