Does ANYONE know where I can find a helmet for kids under 3?

All of the helmets I see start at 3 years +, other than ONE I saw at Dick's sporting goods for toddlers, which they were out of...and it was a girl's helmet, and my husband wouldn't go for my son wearing a helmet with princesses on it anyways, lol. I have looked EVERYWHERE, and have found some online, but I don't want to buy it without seeing if it his head first. HELP, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 2:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Shopping

• I bought one for my daughter at Toys R Us. They had a small selection that was not located with the rest of the bikes and helmets. We almost didn't see them, so ask someone that works there...or better yet, call them and ask before you waste your time making the trip to the store.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 3:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• if the girl's helmet fits properly, buy it and have it painted. some specialty stores do this, and i betcha a local store that supplies the schools/sports teams can tell you where to take it for repainting. parents w/kids on kiddie ballteams do this all the time.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i know many of the local health departments have helmets they give away---try calling them
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 2:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• many helmets for children as young as 3 come with velcro inserts so you can adjust it to the right fit and you can also adjust the straps. My son is 27 months old and fit in a 3+ helmet just fine after I made the adjustments.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Oh....ok.(making the that went over my head motion) lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Measure his head and then start reading boxes. You should be going by what his head measurement is not just age. A lot of the 3+ fit younger kids.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 2:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• if it fits his head*
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• What's he doing that he needs one? The sizes are in place because toddlers are not coordinated to bike ride or skateboard. IMO 2 yr olds shouldn't be doing sports that require them,but maybe thats just me...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• if the girl's helmet fits properly, buy it and have it painted. some specialty stores do this, and i betcha a local store that supplies the schools/sports teams can tell you where to take it for repainting. parents w/kids on kiddie ballteams do this all the time."

I thought of that, actually. Maybe I'll have to do that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• What's he doing that he needs one? The sizes are in place because toddlers are not coordinated to bike ride or skateboard. IMO 2 yr olds shouldn't be doing sports that require them,but maybe thats just me..."

He'd be riding on the back of my husband's bike. They sell them for infants, just not anywhere in an actual store that I can find.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010