Getting licensed for in-home daycare...

Have you done it? How hard was it? This would be in the state of Missouri. How many kids can I keep without being licensed? I'm already CPR certified.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Start here. :) http://www.dss.mo.gov/cclic.htm

Good luck to you. I am an exempt provider (legally not licensed) and it works great for me. I keep no more than 3 children and all of my clients are and have been people I know in one way or another so I'm not out marketing to a wide range of public and dealing with strangers. Each state has different laws on the exempt though.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Legally, you can't have any kids without being licensed. You can nanny in someone elses home. CPR certification has to be up to date and I think you have to re-take the class every couple of years. Find the number online for your state's Daycare Licensing. It took about a year or more before they were ready for the in-home visit. By then, I was already nannying and doing other things and my son had like 2 years left before he was in full-day kindergarden. But I didn't plan to do it forever. If you want it to be your career, I'd say go for it. In CT, I had to have my water tested, become CPR certified, 3-4references, have a back-up person, in case of emergency. You can have a set amount of infants and kids not in school yet. You have to have age appropriate toys. After you pass the home test, then you have to get liability insurance.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• "Legally, you can't have any kids without being licensed."

This varies per state....in many states you can watch 1-3 children in your home without a license
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I live in Arizona and the law here says you can watch 4 kids without a license... Ration 1:5 for under the age of 5 I believe and 1:25 for 5 and up. Contact your state department of childcare licensing, here its department of health services they provide packets of information regarding getting your inhome daycare set up. They will need to come out and inspect oh and any kids you aren't receiving compensation for don't count. Certainly look into it since it does vary state to state.
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010