How weird! Stranger knocked on my door and offered me candy for my kids!

So I noticed an Excel energy truck out front and thought it was weird, but went about my business. About 10 minutes later there is a knock at my door and there is a man standing there dressed in regular clothes. He says" I was working on the gas meter next door and noticed the toys in the front yard, so I thought I would bring them some candy." Then asked how many kids I have and gave me some Smartie candies.

Now why the hell would you do that? I really don't think he had any bad intentions, but still it is super creepy!

What would you have done?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 2:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That is a major red flag.
    A part of me says "Notify the police", because who in their right mind walks up to a strangers house and offers their kids candy? That definately is a creeper situation. I wouldn't trust that guy for anything.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't have opened the door to begin w! This is a common home invasion scheme! He could've also been looking over your shoulder to see what you had that was worth coming back for when you're not home. @ the very least I would've thrown the candy in the trash, you never know what he did to it. Wierd! Keep an eye out for him again, my $'s on home invasions!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't give them the candy and beware of the stranger, you never know who is a wacko these days and who is just plain kind.

Answer by older at 3:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Red flag: Asking how many kids are in the house! I would call the gas company and let them know!
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 3:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would have said thank you and taken it, but I don't think I'd let anyone in my house eat the candy, lol. I'm sure he was just being nice, and it's harmless, but I'm kinda paranoid. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Now a days with so many weirdos we think anything nice is creepy, however I would find it odd, keep an eye out!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• For sure call the gas company...they wouldnt want their employees knocking on random doors offering candy...I would for sure throw the candy away...Oh, if the gas company doesnt know of an employee in the area, call the police.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You should be calling the cops if you haven't already! Gas company employees do not go out in "regular" clothes without identification (badge, name tag, logo shirt, SOMETHING obvious). Sounds like someone SUPER creepy! It's highly unlikely he's actually associated with the gas company, call the cops first, and if you feel like it then notify the gas company.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• First off why was it weird to have an Excel energy truck out front? Personally I wouldn't of opened the door to a stranger. However if I would have I probably would of told him no and shut the door. I would call Excel and ask them if they had someone out in your neighborhood on (whatever date) at (whatever time). If they say no then you should be calling the police. If they say yes then tell them what happened, he should of been doing his job not checking out the neighborhood houses.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 3:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I'm very curious! Please let us know if you called the gas company and/or police and what they said!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010