How can I help my dog?

Please don't reply if you're going to be mean. I don't need rudeness. I need real advice.
I have a 12 year old toy poodle. She has been hacking (sounds like a smoker's cough) a lot the past couple days. I WISH I had the money to take her to the vet but I don't. I'm wondering if there's anything "natural" that I can give her to help her feel a little more comfortable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pets

• It could be kennel cough. You can let kennel cough run its corse with no treatment, but it will take a very long time to get rid of. Also with your dog being older it could start secondary problems. Kennel cough is very contagious and if it is that you can't let her around any other dogs at all. My yorkie had it a while ago--got it from a foster dog--and I took him to the vet and my bill was only 50.00--visit and two meds for him.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• did you feel around the back of her jaw (back teeth). maybe she got a piece of food,or something else stuck in her jaw. we had a dog that did that,every once in awhile.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 7:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I just did a feel around.... doesn't seem to be anything there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• kennel cough? Hm, I can't imagine where she got it from. She's always here and we don't have any other dog visitors. I hope she's able to get over whatever it is pretty quickly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I just looked up Kennel cough and it seems you may be right. It is an airborne virus that can be caught at any time. I found a website that gives some natural "cures" or at least a way to help it run its course faster. http://www.auntjeni.com/kennel.htm

Thanks for the help!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• no. if you dont know what it is, how can you treat her? most of the time an older dog coughing like that is usually suffereing from a heart condition or prolapsing trachea.. she NEEDS a vet. lots of vets take payment plans. please dont let her suffer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• You need to take her to your vet for an examination. There are many causes of coughing in a geriatric poodle. The list is long and can be heart disease, heartworms, bronchitis, collapsing trachea, tonsilitis, allergic bronchitis, cancer, and many different infections caused by viruses, bacteria and fungal infections. If you live in a large city, some humane societies have clinics and may help you out.
    Anonymous

• you can give here some robitussin D.

Just google robitussin canine dosage --- you will find your answer for dosage size related to her pounds.

She may have kennel cough with is a virus...If it continues over a week, you may need the vet.

also, you don't want  it to turn into pneumonia...

good luck

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 4:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• You really need to head for the vet ... sorry.
    Deb_Jones

Answer by Deb_Jones at 11:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• She may just have something she came into contact with that she was allergic to...try that.
    tcmeeler

Answer by tcmeeler at 1:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2008