First Time Potty Training Question?

So I am going to start potty training my son (he shows nearly every sign), but I am wondering how to start. Do I start in the morning? Do I put him right on the potty when he gets up or wait a few minutes and then do it? And the same for nap time and meal time? I have looked at a few articles on google but I am finding different advice so I am looking for someone who has done this before. Any tips beyond the basics? Did anyone use pull ups or not use them? I will be getting my son some regular underwear later today, but I just want to be prepared for this journey...Thanks!

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 3:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Immediately after a nap or bedtime is a great time to put them on! Often the need to go to the bathroom is what wakes them. I also put my kids on right after a bath (they usually had already gone in the tub). For me, the key has always been catching them when they need to go. Once they had gone in the toilet a few times they understood what I wanted them to do. I started pretty early though - 9 to 18 months.

You can take them every 15 minutes, but my kids soon started to HATE the potty, so I took them every hour (or when I remembered). Good luck! Some learn quickly and for others it is a long process. Underwear is MUCH better than pull ups, though I love pull ups for when you are out or for nap time.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I went to buy undies with my son. Then, I started one morning and said, you are a big boy and today you are going to use the potty. No pull-ups or diapers again. I got him up and pulled off the diaper and took him to try the potty. After a minute or two, I put on his undies and let him go. He of course had an accident almost immediately, but, I took him and sat him on the potty and told him to do it in the potty. LOL I put new undies on him and proceeded to take him to try every 15 minutes. He managed to potty where he is supposed to during that time and I praised him immensely. Once he had that down, I went to 30 minutes and kept it up add 15 minutes everytime he became routine. By day 4, he was completely potty trained enough to call him done. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Oh, BTW, my son was 2.5 and showed all the signs. Not to mention he talked and understood like a 6 year old. So, it made it a heck of a lot easier.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010