Do you think this was inappropriate for the sitter to say?

My son got his feelings hurt yesterday while at the sitters; my son has a history of being bullied and is extra sensitive; He's 8-- this was his second day with the sitter; They were out when this happened. He cried when they hurt his feelings(name calling and teasing) ; Not loudly according to the sitter, but quietly in the corner and she told my son "you can't do this in our family"- Part of me says that wasn't ok for her to say. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think maybe she is just trying to teach him to be tougher
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• What does that even mean ?!?! No, that was not appropiate!
    EyeofOdin

Answer by EyeofOdin at 3:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Did he even understand what she was saying? How many 8 yr olds understand what "this" is in a sentence like that?

Answer by admckenzie at 3:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It'd be nice if everyone in the world was accepting & there were never any problems but.... I wouldn't have been happy w/ what she said but can understand how if he's gonna sit in a corner & cry every time some one calls him a name that could get old really quick. Talk to her about helping the other kids be nicer to your son & help your son start to develop thicker skin. Unfortunately the reality of life is kids get picked on. If he's gonna let it bother him he's gonna have a really hard life. Teach him now that what others think of him isn't important, its what he thinks of himself! No one can take that away from him!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i am guessing by "this" she was referring to being a cry baby?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't think that was right of her. Most kids can't help crying, and she needs to be telling the other kids that they don't tease and pick on other people in their family!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• That absolutely was not okay for her to say. She should be giving him words of encouragement and trying to make the situation better. I would talk to her about it and let her know that what she did is not acceptable. Perhaps she had good intentions, and just poor execution.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 3:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It depends on what she was trying to tell your boy. Maybe she was telling him that he needs to learn to speak up for himself. When you leave your child in the care of someone else, they do get to make the rules. I think you just need to ask her for clarification as to exactly what she meant, and if she has some rule that you don't like, then you should look for somewhere else to leave your child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i tease and pick on my kid all the time. I think its good for him that way if he does get called some kind of stupid little name by some dumb little kid he can just brush it off and laught about it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Did your 8 yr old tell you these words? Maybe he wasn't clear on what she said.. and he sounds like he was tattling on the sitter instead of expressing how he felt by being picked on by the other kids. What kid would focus on what the babysitter said, and not what was happening with the other kids? I don't know... seems a bit "off" to me.
    Annette4

Answer by Annette4 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010