Cloth Diapers - who has done this and how bad was the washing?

GabrielaNaomi

Asked by GabrielaNaomi at 3:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did & it wasn't bad @ all! I used the kitchen sprayer or the garden hose depending on the size of the poop & if I couldn't shake it off in the trash. Wash them by themselves or what I did was to stick em in the bath tub w/ some soap & let em soak for a bit before washing them. If they're stained & you care, I didn't, then dip them in lemon juice & set them in the sun, acts like a natural bleach. There's some really easy patterns if you wanna sew your own covers or the g diapers are a good way to go. Target & babies r us carry them.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have three in cloth diapers, I'll never go back to disposables. Washing doesn't bother me at all, when my older two go to bed I put the diapers in the wash, when they're done washing I switch them over to the dryer, and voila, diaper laundry done =) I do wash diapers every day now just for sheer volume of diapers from three kids, however, before my almost 5 month old arrived I washed every other day.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The washing isn't that bad at all, I throw the soiled diaper cover in the toilet, was it out. Flush it then I usually let it soak in the toilet a little bit, go back swish it around more, ring out and flush again. Plus then rather than using a bucket to keep them rinsing/soaking all day, I fill the washer to medium and throw them in as the day goes on, and run it on the rinse cycle before actually washing them. Hope that makes sense. My other son was potty training when I started with cloth diapers on my second baby. It is basically the same mess LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I grew up in the 70's where everyone did the clothe diapers and everyone always put the dirty diapers in the toilet and the wet ones in a basket with lid, laundry once a week and hang to dry, if they are crunchy then to much soap was used...today it is much easier I think.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I cloth diapered my youngest son. It's really not that big of an issue. We did a load of diapers a day, sometimes I hung them out to dry sometimes I dried them in the machine. Do your research on the different types of washing and drying techniques and the best ways to store them until you wash them. This is great for the environment. Keep in mind if a baby is only being breast fed you can just toss a poopy diaper in the wash because the poop disolves; however, if you use any formula or once the baby starts eating solids you have to put the poop in the toilet before you wash, I recommend right as you change the diaper. Do not put the poop in the trash. We aren't even supposed to put the poop from disposables in the trash, read a diaper box, it'll tell you. I highly recommend cloth diapering.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 3:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When I had my babies, there was no alternative to cloth diapers. I had about 6 dozen, and I had a diaper pail in the bathroom in which I kept a soapy water solution. Diapers were rinsed in the toilet and solids flushed away. The diapers then went to the pail to await washing, which took place about every other day. I then dumped the entire pail in to the washer and put it on the spin cycle to get the soaking water out. Then I washed them as usual. I loved to hang them out on the clothes line for a really fresh smell, but that wasn't always possible, in which case they were dried in the dryer, folded and stacked for reuse. I remember two brands--Curity and Birds Eye. Curity made a prefolded diaper, and Birds Eye had to be folded by hand.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Wow - thanks for the great responses. I was thinking about paying a diaper service but would really like to save the $. Thanks everyone! I'm going to do it!
    GabrielaNaomi

Comment by GabrielaNaomi (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It wasn't bad at all. Once you get in a routine it isn't much more work than using disposable. I did not want an extra step - washing out a bucket - so mine went straight in the washing machine. I used diaper liners sold at Babies R Us. They were a couple of dollars for 200. I could throw away the liner if the baby had a bm, and all the mess was in that. Then the diapers went in the washing machine.

I used disposable at night and would wash the diapers in the evening so I could do a load or two of regular clothes before going to bed.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My easiest laundry! I used old fashioned flat and prefolds so it was exta easy. dry pail. breastmilk poop comes out in the was, a7 7 1/2 months solid poo scraped into the toilet. best of all our house didn't reek of perfumed disposables and waste. We also do elimination communication so i haven't used diapers at all in a month (my baby is 10 months) just training pants. http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I found it really easy. I do diapers every 3 days. Poopy ones I have a diaper sprayer so I spray them off into the toilet, then I just throw then in a lined hamper. I wash twice and dry. Or I line dry.. it's so easy.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 4:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010