Have you ever known someone to NOT provide baby toys for their babies?

I have a relative who is always taking care of her granddaughter...the baby is very fat for her age which is 7 months, I have never seen her with a toy and if the baby fusses she gets a bottle in her mouth....I knew the baby was just bored not hungry every half hour so i gave her some of my son's baby toys.

I also knew of a young mom who was 15, and didn't have any toys for her baby so I went to some garage sales and gave her some..she was really happy to have the baby toys for her baby, and it didn't occur to her to buy any.

How do you NOT provide at least a few toys for your babies?

togo90210

Asked by togo90210 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• My baby was holding plenty and playing with stuff already at only 2 months. He is now 4 months and grabbing toys and doing stuff with them... it's amazing to watch really. :)

And YES! Babies CAN be fat! When they are given food as a rememdy to every situation and they are fat, then they're fat!

JUST like adults!

I don't personally see how you could not buy your baby toys... unless you just can't afford it or you're a first time mom and don't know better.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• @MamaRoberts .. my daughter could hold plenty of stuff at 7 months.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The 15-year old is young, so that can be her excuse I guess.
    The other situation, I really have no clue.

I keep two toys in my purse for my daughter and she has her own toy bag in my car in case she gets bored.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think toys and all is great for development and for keeping themselves occupied. But if they have nothing they can amuse themselves. Good ol. thumb sucking enjoyment! But I think toys are important. Good question!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 3:37 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My niece had a baby at 21 and she didn't want ANY toys that made any kind of noise. Luckily, after her mother brought home one of my son's little keyboards, she saw how much her baby liked it and started getting toys that made noise.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Babies can hold toys as early as 6 weeks of age....they need toys for stimulation....A 7 month old should not be as fat as this one...
    togo90210

Comment by togo90210 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My great-nephew (gosh that makes me sound OLD!) just turned a year old. When I asked what he needed for his birthday, I was told the only toys he had were the ones that his mother got at her baby shower. I threw her baby shower and logged her gifts for her, so I know she didn't get very many toys. So for his 1st birthday, I got him a Leapfrog train that is acceptable from 12months-3 years.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 4:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have perfectly healthy, active baby boys (not babies anymore, almost six and almost two) and they weren't even interested in anything until they were six months old, THAT is why I said "I can see how a seven month old wouldn't have much and honestly they don't need much anyway."

It's probably your wording that struck me....I don't call anyone fat, especially a baby or a child! How big is the child anyway? Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 7:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My 7 month od holds LOTS of things! Has been since she was a couple She's been "playing" with toys for a while now.....I'd say 4 months old?
    MelaniesMama

Answer by MelaniesMama at 11:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well considering that most baby's can't hold anything until they are much older, I can see how a seven month old wouldn't have much and honestly they don't need much anyway. And look at you calling a seven month old fat...is that what her doctor thinks or her mother?
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010