Hysterectomy Question..

Ok Idk if I even spelled it right but anyways, when I gave birth to my 2nd baby the Doctor had a hard time stopping the bleeding and he almost had to do an emergancy Hysterectomy. Thankfully that didnt happen but I lost so much blood I was just so exhausted I didnt even ask what a Hysterectomy was? But my question is where does all the blood come from? thanks...

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Health

• Hysterectomy is the removal of all or most of the female reproductive organs,uterus,ovaries,cervix. in your case it would have been uterus. the blood is from the arteries that feed into the uterus.Sometimes when the placenta detaches,it tears part of the side of the uterus.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• a woman's uterus has a lot of arteries and viens, which sometimes after giving birth do not stop bleeding. i dont know all the very detailed stuff here. but that would be the basic idea. a hysterectomy to save your life from bleeding to death would have meant you could no longer get pregnant or carry a baby. as your uterus would have been removed.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• did you have a c-section?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• no i had a natural delivery
    navajomama7

Comment by navajomama7 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i lost a lot of blood with my first delivery because the placenta did not detach. the clotting can't begin until the placenta detaches. i don't know where else the bleeding could come from. you should ask your dr.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• thanks ladies.. it was pretty scary but thank god nothing bad happened
    navajomama7

Comment by navajomama7 (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010