How to get your 22 month old off the Bottle?

My son still takes bottles of milk at night. Once when we put him in bed and then again during the night, usually at 4:30. Sometimes he wants it more often. We have tried everything to get him off. We watered down the milk until it was just water, we tried giving his milk in a sippy cup(which he takes during the day), we have even tried just not giving it to him. And he will just scream and scream until he get it. Please help!

Married12Kevin

Asked by Married12Kevin at 3:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• throw away the bottles and put up with the temper tantrums for a few days until he gets the idea that he is NOT getting a bottle
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Stop cold turkey and live with the screaming until he gets over it.

Let him continue until he stops on his own.

Drop one feeding at a time until he is done.

Those are the only options I know of.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• At 22 months he shouldn't be having any nightime feeding,or going to bed with a bottle. If he can drink from a sippy,the bottle needs to disappear.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I agree with the other mothers, THROW THEM OUT! Blame it on the dog, or whatever it takes but get rid of them now. My husbands nephew was 3 before they could get him just off the bottle to a sippy cup-ridiculous! They finally threw them all away and said the neighbors dog ate them.. it seemed to do the trick. Regardless, put up with the tantrums and eventually.. they'lll get thirsty and give in. Good luck mommy!
    BillieJean0401

Answer by BillieJean0401 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• A lot of drs will whine that he's still on a bottle at all, it's not really good for his teeth to have one when he goes to bed. But I agree with Braden's mom with your options. Right now he knows if he screams you'll give in eventually. I know it is horrible to hear them cry for something they want but if you give in he'll end up doing it all the time. (My nephew is the perfect example of this) He was adopted by my mom and dad and for a long time it was because of his situation blah blah blah, now he's 11 and if he doesn't get his way he pitches a fit. He back talks with no consequences because he's always gotten away with it. I hate to keep my oldest away from him but I tend to because if he plays with him he comes home thinking he can do the same with no punishment.
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I agree with the rest of the ladies. Throw theom out and tell him big boys do not drink out of bottles.

Answer by louise2 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I give my dd, who is 25 months, a sippy cup with water if she wants a drink before bed. Never milk! He should be out of this habit by now. Throw the bottles away, only allow water and pray that you will make it through, eventually he will get the point.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• he only takes the bottle at night. During the day its sippy cups. And it's not formula, its just milk
    Married12Kevin

Comment by Married12Kevin (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• either just throw it away cold turkey or just offer water in it. he is going to be mad and scream but at this age you are just going to let him have to cry it out. sorry but thats just how it is.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 5:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well at night he shouldn't be having anything besides water. It can ruin his teeth. If he just really wants the bottle, then I say let him have a water bottle. That is what I did with my sons. I wait until they are done with the bottles. I don't force it. But I do force water at night not milk and make sure they are weaned to water at night by 15 months.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2010