Agree with the change in the law?

WASHINGTON - Congress on Wednesday changed a quarter-century-old law that has subjected tens of thousands of blacks to long prison terms for crack cocaine convictions while giving far more lenient treatment to those, mainly whites, caught with the powder form of the drug.

The House, by voice vote, approved a bill reducing the disparities between mandatory crack and powder cocaine sentences, sending the measure to President Barack Obama for his signature. During his presidential campaign, Obama said that the wide gap in sentencing "cannot be justified and should be eliminated." The Senate passed the bill in March.

The measure alters a 1986 law, enacted at a time when crack cocaine use was rampant and considered a particularly violent drug, under which a person convicted of crack cocaine possession gets the same mandatory prison term as someone with 100 times the same amount of powder cocaine.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree, the cut cocain got less time than the rock
    the rock is sold more in the ghetto's while the cut cocain is sold more in prosperous neighborhoods
    this was a law set up to put blacks in prison, minorities period, while white's served half the time for the same thing
    Anonymous

• THIS is the "top priority" stuff that Congress is voting on?! I think THEY'VE been snorting the stuff themselves!!! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• They should raise the time for powdered sentencing then, not lower the crack sentence.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Greeeeat...more crackheads on the loose!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 3:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I like the one comment under the article that says ..

Obama says..

free medical crackpipes for all!

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I just don't know enough about drug use to make an educated comment. do the people that take crack commit more violent crimes than the people that use powder?

I'm so confused.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have no idea what either of the sentences should be. But to get the same jail time for a rock of crack as someone who has 20 bags of cocaine and is selling it .It is obviously not fair. They should both go to jail but the sentence needs to fit the crime. It's a good thing they changed it if I am understanding this correctly.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You are mommom,

Cocaine is considered the rich mans drug and crack the poor mans. So they are throwing the POOR in prison for crazy amounts of time but the coke heads (with a little more affleunce) get WAY LESS time

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010