Do I have the right to be pissed off?

Yesterday I was told that a friend of mine died on Saturday ffrom a drug overdose. She has a little boy that is now going to grow up without his mother. I was also told yesterday that another friend is being charged with 2 counts of endangering the welfare of a child because she left her 11 month old child in her car for a few hours while she went shopping. I never knew that either of these would act ilke this. What I am pissed about is the fact that neither of them thought about their children. The way i look at is that they were both VERY selfish and only thought about themselves. My children are my life. I would never even think about doing something that could cause them harm. I want to say I feel sorry for the friend that died but in actuality I feel bad for her son. Same with the other girl. Im just plain out pissed of at the mothers. Do I have the right to be?

Mamie914

Asked by Mamie914 at 7:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes. simple answer. Yes you have the right to be pissed. I would be too. I feel sorry for the kids :(
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• In regards to your friend that left their child in the car: YES!

In regards to your friend that died from a drug overdose: In my opinion it's hard to say that they were being selfish and only thinking of themselves. Drugs totally mess up the body and/or the thinking abilities of people. I've seen people that want to quit, need to quit, because they want and need better for their children, but it's very hard to quit. If your friend had a drug problem, I'm sure that she didn't get high that day thinking she was going to die. If she OD because she committed suicide then it's even hard to say that she was being selfish. Those that actually commit suicide are actually very ill and can't think clearly.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I didn't have room for more:

Yes it's okay to be pissed at both and mad; but I couldn't label both as being selfish.

Child left in car: clearly selfish (in my opinion). Mom that OD: there is so much more involved that I couldn't say she was selfish.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• of course! like you said, they are mothers, they should have been thinking about their kids! my so gets mad at me bc i am constantly thinking about my kids, and that im not as brave as i used to be! (i used to be big into 4-wheeling wtih doing lots of jumps, wheelies, and i thought i could do anything)...but yes, mothers shouldnt be out doing drugs!!! as for the baby left in the car, the mother was obviously not very smart! i feel bad for both those babies..not the moms! so yes, you would have a right to be mad...and sad for the babies!
    ilovemypnut86

Answer by ilovemypnut86 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yes, you are correct to feel this way.
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 8:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree with sahminil. The one who left her child in the car was clearly selfish. The one who died of OD, kinda hard to say. On one hand, yes she was selfish. She left a child behind that will now never know his mother. But, then again, drugs affect the brain and if she OD'd on purpose, people who commit suicide have way bigger problems than anyone else realized.
    To answer your question of whether or not you should be mad, yes of course you should. Whether their actions were selfish or not, the end result was harmful to a child, and it makes perfect sense to be angry about that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:04 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think both are incredibly selfish acts and that you have every right to be pissed off.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i think it ok to be mad cause of the effects there actions had on the children. they may have not intentionally meant to be selfish but when you dont put your childrens safety first things like this can happen. very sorry for the death and hopefully the other mom gets some council on parenting.
    marykaysauer

Answer by marykaysauer at 12:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Of course you have the right to be pissed. You also have the right to be very thankful that your kids have a loving mother that won't do that to him. As mad as you are, it doesn't do you any good to stress over it, just be grateful for your children and maybe give them some extra love and attention. :)
    MissViki

Answer by MissViki at 3:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yes, you have every right!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2008