• In the Spotlight:

What is one thing you really respect about your MIL?

While mine gets on my nerves sometimes, I actually really like her. One thing I really respect about her is how she raised my husband, on her own, after my husband's dad passed away from cancer when my husband was only 4 years old. She also lost so many other family members along the way to cancer (it's rampant in his family). I can't imagine my husband dying and having a little boy that looks just like him to raise on my own. Somehow, my husband had a great childhood, is respectful and hard-working, and is an AMAZING dad. She did such a good job, and I think that is admirable.

After typing this, but before posting, I actually sent her a message on Facebook to tell her. I've never said anything like that to her before, so it was a little weird, but I thought she deserved to hear it.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 4:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• my SO grew up on the south side of chicago in a rough neighborhood with both parents addicted to crack...when my SO was 9, as his 12 year old brother was preparing to get beat into a gang, she packed up what she could fit into a few duffle bags and moved to kentucky to live with her sister and her 3 kids in a 2 bedroom trailer so that her kids could have a better life. she got clean and worked her ass off because she saw her kids going down the wrong path and she wasnt going to let that happen. my SO and his brother are now 2 of the most amazing men. i admire her for having the strength to change and save her children.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I LOVE my MIL. She raised one good man. She's had a lot to deal with though. She had 4 kids in 5 years. The youngest is bi-polar. She and the other two put the family through it all. My husband was the oldest of the crew. She does all she can for her family. She was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor and had it mostly removed, but has dealt with it ever since. I can't say anything bad about my MIL.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my MIL is actually pretty darn open-minded and adventurous for her age (72) she is often a little reluctant to try new things but does it anyway. i'm proud of her for it!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I never met DF's mom because she died when he was 11, but I respect that she had 6 kids and did her best to raise them
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• nothing at al....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Oh YOU are definitly going to get "DIL of the year"!! That was really nice of you to do. I on the other hand do not have any comment regarding mine that applies to this particular question! LOL! ;)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I dont really like my mil, but I do think she is a strong woman. my dfs dad, who is 62, is dying. There basically is nothing to do about it and dont really know when its going to happen. He cant do much of anything around the house so she does it all. She cooks, cleans, mows the grass, ontop of taking care of her 7 yr old GS because his mother is a worthless parent, and going to school online, and working. She does a lot and gets very little in return so I respect that she hasnt lost her mind yet!!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My MIL is an amazing woman. She has ataxia but raised two boys just fine. She watching my two littlest ones all the time and does a great job. She doesn't ever raise her voice and is so patient. She spoils the kids and my husband rotten, but that's not too bad.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 4:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• For the most part I do like my mil, there are times when she gets on my nerves or we have an 'issue' with child things. What I respect most about her is she is a hard worker and is dedicated to volunteering/helping others. She worked most of her life as she had 5 kids to support (her ex was a drunken deadbeat who paid her nothing). She volunteers a few days a week at the hospital, she is very active in her church and is on the luncheon committee there, and she is active in a few other organizations as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My hubby's bio mom nothing at all!! The woman he calls mom I respect her strength and courage! She is battling cancer and she never gives up she is an amazing woman!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010