Do you think the gov. and school would stay out of teaching our kids thing we should, if we actually would?

I do. To many parents aren't teaching their kids these things, so the schools have to. Then parents complain to the schools. Why not complain to the parents who don't teach their kids these things, so the schools don't have to?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because over time people have become increasingly lazy, or don't have a clue what their children should be taught. Or they are just generations of, well, uneducated morons who do not know any better. Plus some parents are so busy after getting kids up, off to daycare or school, getting home, making dinner, trying to help with homework, plus do what needs done in the home, it's time for bed and the rat race begins again. I am thankful I am a SAHM. The thought of all that would put me over the edge. I think in all of our technology and other advances we, as in people in general, have lost touch of what is truely important. Your huge paycheck isn't important. Your family and families health and relationships are what should be priority, but they aren't. Because it just costs so damn much to live and survive any more.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• But, how do you know "too many parents aren't teaching their children"? Do you realize that education isn't even mentioned in the Constitution. It is one of those things not mentioned that is reserved to the state. The more the federal government delves into the role of education the lower our scores go. They continue to go in the same direction expecting different results. It is the definition of insanity. The feds need to step back and leave it to the states. When they did, we invented the computer, the phone, the Saturn V rocket, the assembly line, manned flight, the Gatling gun, the steam engine, the cotton gin,....................they just need to leave it alone.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The gov will never stay out of the business of indoctrinating children. And that's what it is. Public schools have become nothing but a place where children are force fed worldly ideas & beliefs and many without the parents knowledge. It doesn't matter whether parents teach their children at home or not, as long as we allow it, the gov will continue to "teach" children what it feels they should know.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Teen pregnancy was on the decline when the gov decided there was a crisis. They "needed" to address it by teaching sex ed in school and it sky-rocketed. Same with Johnsons "war on poverty". Poverty was at an all time low when they started the war on poverty and then it too, sky-rocketed. I think the gov should mind the business that they were set up to do.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i don't think the government has a single clue what each home is teaching their kids...they are gonna want to teach kids no matter what. I don't think its a bad thing. Parents should be more involved at home and at school.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Maybe, but at the same time, I don't think it's the government's job to tell you how to raise your child.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Oh, and what the government requires to be taught isn't always 100% accurate information. It's old beliefs if you are looking at the historical aspect. Plus, the government can't even run the country let alone a school system. Sure there are others who would disagree with me, but it is my opinion.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The schools would want to control that anyway. I think it is completely the parents' responsibility to teach their children about most things. The schools take over and teach our kids things they have no business teaching them.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You guys are soooooo wrong the Government should stay out of teaching our kids anything, that is not the job of the government!!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• And what exactly "should" the parents be teaching their children? And how are you so certain that the parents aren't teaching their children what is valuable in THEIR individual family?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010