When did your child stop needing a nap?

I know it's a large range or ages. I worked as a preschool teacher through college and know even at 3 some slepts, some didn't. Even working in kindergarten classroom who have a half hour of quiet rest time after lunch, some sleep. When they started being done all together with a nap, did their bed time change? Or did they start sleeping better through the night?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 4:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have 5 children. Sadly once the bottle went by 2 yrs old so did the naps. I try to lay down with them but it was always harder for me to get them to sleep after they were bottle broke. Most of my children were going to bed sooner and slept better at night because they weren't waking up for the bottle.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• 4

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My 17 year old still naps.....lol..... he does that by choice though....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• both my kids stopped napping completely between 2 and 3 ;o(

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 4:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Mine gave them up around 2. He will usually sleep about 12hours a night though.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son stopped at 2 he is 4 now and my daughter stopped at 1.5 idk why but she did, she is 2.5 now. the go to bed at 8 and wake up at 7
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son stop taking a nap around 18 months. I still wish he took a nap!lol
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I guess about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 the naps stopped. My daughter is 4 1/2 and has napped at all for about a year. My son is 2 1/2 and naps 80% to 90% of the time. When he doesn't nap he is out for the night earlier by an hour or two. My daughter I make have quiet time when DS is napping, but when he doesn't nap they like to play the whole time although the play calms down(read a book to each other or sit and play quietly with blocks or wooden train set) for an hour or so.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 4:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Im 27 & still need naps from time to time! ;)
    My 3.5yr old is napping right now. and I watch a 4yr old that i still lay him down for naps (his parents dont, but i do)
    I think napping is great & has many benifits to child. Kids need lots of rest to grow & for brain development. "Nurutre Shock" I read that kids that took naps have a higher IQ.. Wish I could remember exact quote. But it stuck to me so ill be doing my best to make sure dd gets her naps in.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My daughter stopped napping right about the time she almost turned 2, and she has not napped since.. EVER! It kills me sometimes lol My son is 15 months and he still LOVES his naps thankfully, I hope his lasts alot longer than hers did.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2010