Doomsday shelters making a comeback, are YOU getting one?

Jason Hodge, father of four children from Barstow, Calif., says he's "not paranoid" but he is concerned, and that's why he bought space in what might be labeled a doomsday shelter.
Hodge bought into the first of a proposed nationwide group of 20 fortified, underground shelters — the Vivos shelter network — that are intended to protect those inside for up to a year from catastrophes such as a nuclear attack, killer asteroids or tsunamis, according to the project's developers.

"It's an investment in life," says Hodge, a Teamsters union representative. "I want to make sure I have a place I can take me and my family if that worst-case scenario were to happen."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-07-28-doomsday28_ST_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope,I'd rather die outright than fight to the death for fresh water and food with the other survivors.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Being prepared for an emergency is one thing, sending someone money to "reserve a space" as if there is any way to force them to provide you one in the event of a catastrophic disaster is entirely different.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• well, when you put it that way NP, it sounds stupid...

Friend of mine had a hurricane shelter when they were stationed in Alabama - they didn't build it, came with the house. Their place was THE hangout for the entire neighborhood during bad storms (including Katrina). It was done up like a spare rec room, and everyone brought sleeping bags. A space like that makes sense - especially down there where there's a constant chance of major storms. I wouldn't fault anyone for maintaining some kind of shelter that they can control. But to rely on someone else to provide it for you is the exact opposite of being prepared.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I live 50 miles from a nuclear power plant. In case of nuclear attack,these are #2 targets,along with other power stations,to get eliminated. My ass is grass anyway in this scenario! Any of these scenarios will eliminate life as we know it. As soon as your food/water supply runs out,you'll be fighting others to the death for water,food,and shelter. no thanks!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• No, we won't be getting one. I live within 200 miles radius of: D. C., Fort Bragg, Pope AF Base, Seymour Johnson, Cherry Point, Little Creek Navy Base, Norfolk Naval base, The Pentagon, and Sunny Point ammo dump. I live in a high value target area. A doomsday shelter some how seems fruitless.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i think being prepared for a disaster makes sense. I have the box with the candles and the matches and a first aid kit, etc... etc...

We have emergency plans in place, places to go,

Food and bottled water. No, I'm not going to build a shelter, but if you live in an area where tsunamis are more likely, is it really that awful to do?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• no... but why do i think they are soo cool?! lol
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Gotta give the creator of this idea props!! It's right up there with Alien Abduction Insurance!!

Seriously, why can't I think of these ideas!!! LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't know if I woould want to...imagine being able to come out later after the area is safe and knowing that your neighbors died because maybe they couldn't AFFORD a shelter for their family? Would youreally want to survive in a world that was filled with death and destruction?

If there was a Nuclear attack, the earth would not be inhabitable anyway. Not for a few hundred years.

well, I know it won't happen . I'm not even taking this crap seriously.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2010