Would you use a service like this?

I am trying to make some extra money for my family. We are no joke broke. I was thinking of ding flyers and an ad on craigslist for DH and me called Helping Hands Errand Service. I want to offer things like helping with large cleaning jobs, yard work, scooping poop, running errands like dry cleaning and post office lines... Just kind of an hourly personal assistant or 'wife' We would be doing in home jobs together for safety and never while the client is not home since we would not be bonded or insured.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is actually a pretty good idea... be sure to add in the cost of fuel and auto maintenance when determining the rates you would be charging, don't want to end up spending more than you earn!
    Crimsonia

Answer by Crimsonia at 4:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't use a service like this if the people performing it weren't bonded and insured. Sorry.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 4:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i wouldnt trust craigslist. and i wouldnt name your company "helping hands" if you did decide to do this...someone might get the wrong idea and want a helping hand with a job you may not want to help with..if you get what i'm saying.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sorry,but I wouldn't. I'd feel safer with a company that was insured. I guess look into seeing if legally you could sign a waiver not to hold them responsible in case of accidents. As far as you breaking something of theirs....I don't think anyone would feel safe not having you insured/bonded

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I probably would. Go the library and drop off these books, here is my grocery list...go buy it, and...clean my bathroom haha.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It sounds like a good idea but you might want to see how much it cost to get bonded and insured. I wouldn't personally use the service but I know somebody like my sister would (but only if bonded). You can try it and the worst that could really happen is people say sorry it's not for me. Good Luck!
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It's 'Helping Hands Errand Service' and how do you think you go about getting bonded and insured and craiglist was secondary I was gonna use fliers mostly.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes, I would advertise in a local paper too. Like a Penny Saver. There are a lot of people who do this here in NY. My Mom even had a girl come in to water her house plants who needed the money at the time.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes, I would call a service like that if needed. Don't know how handy your DH is, but that is a big deal because lots of husbands are not handy, so be sure to mention that in your ad too. Another thing you might want to look into is www.care.com. It not only shows child care ads, but ads for pet care, housekeeping, and "care gigs". You can search in your zipcode. Sittercity.com is another site to check out but you have to register fist (there is no charge to register). Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would rather use people just trying to make some money than a company. I am a good natured person and I try to help people all I can.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010