• In the Spotlight:

When do you think a child is too old to still be on bottles?

my neighbors son is 2, and I see him with bottles all the time. Like sitting there sucking the milk out of them. And he is really rude. Anyway, Just curious, I understand each child is different, but...it made me wonder, how old do YOU think too old is?

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 8:11 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think they should be off by 1. There is no reason to keep your child on the bottle longer. To me it is just laziness in the parents part. Especially if the child does not want to switch. The parents just give in and it doesn't do any good any where.
    I was a parent that had to fight with my son to get him off the bottle. I could of given in but I didn't. I had 3 other kids to care for and running every where and I have a business to run. So if I can break my child with having a hectic schedule than anyone can. You just have to be patient.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• What does the child being rude have to do with still using a bottle?

Personally the last bottle my kids had was on their first B-day. I personally think 12-18 months is a good age, the closer they get to 2 the more and more I think it should be gone.

The child being rude and/or sweet has nothing to do with still be on the bottle.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It just depends on the child and the parent. I took my sons bottle away when he was 9 months old...before he had a chance to really get hooked on them! lol. I thought it would be easier then than later on when realized something was up.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I had one off the bottle at 13 mo, and another it took till she was over 2, and the last one is 15 mo, and almost ready to give it up. So I've gone with the they will let me know type thing on it. I don't think that being on the bottle has anything to do with him being rude though. I think that is just from other sources.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My pediatrician said between 12 and 18 months. My son was 16 months before using a sippy cup became his favorite thing and the bottle was no more.
    jazztastic

Answer by jazztastic at 9:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son started using a sippy cup at 11 months, but I think it was because I babysat a 2 year old who always had a sippy cup and he wanted to be just like him. :) I think each child is ready at different times. My son was ready to be off the bottle and he wouldn't pick up a bottle after he drank out of a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My older ones were off promptly at 12 months. I have a 14 month old, now, who is still on the bottle. I was always a FIRM believer that they should be weaned at a year, but I know I'm not having any more and want to hold on to my baby for just a little while longer! Also, he's getting 4 molars at once and I don't want to take away that comfort when he's in pain! His teeth take forever to come in! He was fussy for 2 months when he got his top 2 teeth. As soon as they all break through (3 more to go), no more bottles!
    I see kids over 2 carrying bottles around all the time and I don't like that. JMO. My little guy only gets one before naps and bedtime.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• my son was between 15-16 months when i took the bottle away... i will prob take it away sooner with this next one...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My baby is 15 moth old and I only give him the battle for his night snack ( bottle of milk) and that is it.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My dentist and pediatrician both said no later than 12mths. It can cause dental rot or their teeth can grow in uneven. My oldest was taking a sippy cup during the day by 9mths old and got a bottle at bedtime. She was off by 12mths. My son was off by 10mths, mainly b/c he was in daycare and he was ready to go into the one year class but couldn't go if he was on a bottle. He didn't care, he was used to sippy cups as well. My youngest never took a bottle. I breastfed all my kids but supplimented the other 2 with formula. I was a SAHM after I had my youngest. Most of the time, the parents are the reason the child is still on a bottle by a certain age, not the child. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get rid of the bottle. Give them "big girl/boy cups" and say that baby's use bottles, etc.
    mom2jacqmicvic

Answer by mom2jacqmicvic at 9:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2008