Which Dental Experience...?

My 4 yo DD needs 5 crowns on her posterior teeth. We are wanting something other than the shining silver of stainless steel and we have found a couple dentists who will do the stainless steel with a resin coating on them that is much closer to the color of the actual teeth.

One dentist is 2 hours away. He wants a visit to evaluate her and he then wants 2 visits to get all the work done. On those final 2 visits he will wrap DD in a "blanket wrap" and "force" her mouth opened. She will be numbed, but that's it.

The other dentist is 5 hours away. She will do everything in one visit. She will use IV sedation so that DD would sleep through the entire thing.

My question is: Taking what I just provided you into consideration, which would you choose? If money would help determine which, then just assume they will cost me the same exact thing out of pocket to take that scenario out.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 4:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'd drive 5 hours away. No way would I put my son through the first option.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would go 5 hours away. The forcing her mouth open would probably scare her and make her afraid of dentists. It would my son.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:37 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Will there be someone there to watch over her while sedated? Sedation is best done in a hospital.
    Personally I prefer the iv sedation for myself. It's quick, easy and no pain after.
    If your kid could handle it I'd go with the 2 hours one with the numbing. But if she's afraid of the dentist I'd go with the sedation.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't know what he blanket wrap is but it makes me uncomfortable. And just numbing.......doesn't sound like enough. But then I wouldn't have my child be put to sleep unless it was in a hospital setting. Sorry........I'm not much help.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• As a dental assistant the IV is better for her bc of her age, if you can afford composite fillings for the whole area with decay than go that route because amalgam, the alloy steel, takes alot more of the healthy tooth off to be placed on.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• And a dentist is a dr, they are trained in so much detail plus sedation equals an anestheoligist or how ever you spell that plus an assistant will always be with her, chances are you can sit with her too
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son was very young when he had to have 3 crowns put on. They are the silver ones and to be honest-you don't even notice. They are in the back of his mouth so unless someone knows about them they don't see them. All that being said, I would go 5 hours. There is NO WAY I would allow someone to "tie" my child down and pry their mouth open. Talk about serious mental trauma. My son was asleep with IV when he had his done and does not remember anything. It was not a bad experience for him.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I personally would not go with first option. I would go with the conscious sedation. I work for a dentist that does both IV Sedation and conscious sedation. For children we do conscious sedation if child is young, timid, scared or uncooperative. Conscious sedation does not work for all children as well, for some reason this does not work we use a shot in the leg to help put child asleep (sounds horrible, but child doesnt remember it). This will allow child to not have any bad past experiences and make going to the dentist not a bad (scary) thing. I have seen too many children with bad experiences and really it is cheaper to spend the money for a good experience. I have seen adults who stay away from dentists for years and years because of bad experiences as a child. Dental care is so important and important enough not to take lightly. I am a hygienist and know and seen a lot of different cases and experiences.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• As a former dental assistant I would go with the IV sedation and get it all over and done with once instead of subjecting them to many visits and possible trauma from being wrapped up, mouth 'forced' open and be awake for the numbing injections and work.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:08 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I work for a pediatric dentist in Central, NJ (who also does sedation dentistry, orthodontics and takes care of special needs patients). As long as there is a licensed anethesiologist administering and monitoring the procedure, you don't need a hospital. That's what we do here at KidZdent. If you live near here, we'd be happy to have you come in for a free consult. We do all the treatment in the office using oral sedation with no IV, and all work is done in 1 visit.

If not, I would suggest traveling the 5 hours. Ask him/her about white cosmetic crowns though. When you have the right doctor, it's unncessary to have to "force" a child's mouth open. Check this doctor's credentials and find some online reviews about them.

Good luck!

www.kidzdent.com
    2455 Route 516, Old Bridge, NJ 08857
    732-679-2323
    Facebook: KidZdent
    Twitter: DrBrunsden
    JerseyGirl444

Answer by JerseyGirl444 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2010