ok so I need some advice...

My now exlandlord is being a pain in the ass..We recently received a letter on the door from the bank or title co. saying his house was in foreclosure and we had to be out by July 23rd. So I called the title co. and they told me yes get out by the 23rd as that is when it goes into auction. Well we did that and now landlord is pissed off and harrassing us we didn't destroy nothing we even cleaned his house before leaving. Well he's pressuring us to pay rent for July and the house still isn't his yet he still has to go before a judge (trying to get it outta foreclosure) Since we moved int hat place the power,gas, and water especially water have been shut off mutiple times..He's responsible for all utilities..but anyways title co. said don't pay him nothing save it and find another place we just forked out $1400 to get into a new place even though our lease is until Aug. 1st do we still owe him? Even though we paid $200 cont/

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you lived there from July 1st-July 23rd.. then you would owe the owner of the house the money. If the bank took control of the property on July 1st, and they say do not pay, then don't pay them. But if your landlord still had ownership of the house, then you have to pay the rent from the time you were there until he lost control of the property. Make sense?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• to help w utiltities even thoug we're not supposed to pay those and we let him keep the 400 deposit idk what the heck to do I don't wanna pay him for the big inconvienience and I don't feel I owe him anything he didn't even have the balls to tell us his house was in foreclosure the letter told us 2 weeks before we had to move. what would you do? He wouldn't give us a contract copy no matter how many times we asked all we have is that letter...I guess the biggest thing that pisses me off is he had the water shut off tons of times there were days my kids couldn't shower to go to school or brush their teeth and this last time I was in the shower when the water was shut off and I still had shampoo in my hair w no way to rinse it and it was there for hours until he turned it back on..I couldn't cook for my kids or could they have water to drink ugh I never moved out before because I had no money to move into another place..
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• At this point the landlord's hands are tied and there is nothing he can do to you unless you signed a lease contract with him. Then he could take you to claims court. Otherwise, your safe.
    EyeofOdin

Answer by EyeofOdin at 4:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• we did sign a lease but he would not give us a copy but the title co. said don't pay
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I just don't know if I really owe him or not because w the $200 utilites (not supposed to pay) but did cus he was having them shut off and the $400 deposit our rent was $900 we only stayed till the 23rd
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have a solution for you if you really want to hear it , it works with EXACTLY This type of situation...Message me and I will tell you.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• contact your local renter's rights office.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• keep all documentation regarding the lack of utilities and that he was responsible, the letter from the title bureau, etc. you actually may be able to sue the landlord since he didn't hold up his end of the lease and his lack of payment on the house caused you additional expense. he can harrass you all he wants but no one can make you pay unless he goes through proper legal channels. definitely contact your local tenant organization. in one area i lived in they were EXTREMELY helpful. here... not so much. also, find your local landlord-tenant code online if you have time on your hands and start reading, and read your lease... you may also want to contact legal aid if you qualify ASAP.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't pay because its not your fault u have to move.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• contact your local renter's rights office and find out about the law on notification of foreclosure. I wouldn't pay especially not after all that
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2010