Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unwed Mom gave baby father's last name. How does this effect Mom in getting legal aid when father won't help support baby?

My daughter is an unwed Mom. She gave the baby the father's last name. I was told this may be a problem for her to get legal aid such as ADC, food stamps, or help with child care while she works. The father will not work and does not contribute to any financial support for the baby or anything else. Plus, my daughter is living with the bum and he will not even care for the child while she is working. I love to far away to help her with child care. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, please.....let me hear from you.

Answer Question

Asked by My_ADD_Daughter at 8:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • If he isn't employed, then she can get food stamps and help.

    Answer by akhlass at 8:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • My daughter was in a similar situation. When she lived with him, she didn't get any assistance because he made enough to support her and the baby though he wasn't. Now that she has moved out, she is applying for help and getting it. Having him on the BC made no difference.

    Answer by Malley at 9:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • Names make no difference in applying for aid. But she still may have trouble if he's not working. They're probably going to push hard on why he doesn't watch the baby if he's not working, or for him to get a job. And if they don't see any valid reason for him to not be working, she could be denied. Also, if he has another child and is supposed to pay child support, her benefits could be reduced a bit. When my ex and I were together, that was the case, and basically they calculated what our family of 3 would get, and then took away a percentage b/c he was supposed to be paying child support for another child. Good luck!

    Answer by tropicalmama at 9:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • if they live together and he is not working, he will be required to be "on the case" with her. since he is not working, he will be required to do job training or job searches. if he refuses to do those things it could affect the benfits. i had this happen. what happened was my lazy husband lost his job. I went & got food stamps. he refused to particiapate in the job search thing so they dropped him from our case (subtracted what benefits we got that included him) but I still continued to get assistence for myself & the kids. (eventually I left his stupid butt & moved on w/ my life & now have a great husband(& stepdad to my kids) who works and actually cares about us.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • It won't make any difference. When me and my boyfriend (now husband) split up for a while, I got all the benifits I needed because I am the mother. Last names don't matter.

    Answer by Autumn22 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • Name makes no difference. tell her to apply and see what they will offer her but make sure she tells them he's living with her or she could get in trouble

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • Not to worry the name doesnt count. You could name your baby Flotsen Jimber Jamberee and it wont matter. It's all about the financial situation of the parent(s).

    Answer by cherrygirl87 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • I think that if the child is under 1 year old she can change the last name pretty easily if she'd like. Otherwise i think she still could change the last name, but it may be a little more difficult.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

  • No effect at all. She could have given the baby the name Whoopsitbroke! The father still has to support his child. They might need a DNA test to prove paternity, but after that it's easy to get a child support order. Also this won't affect her getting financial help or daycare for the child. Good luck!!!

    Answer by shmorris56 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • As long as paternity has been established name or no name he is responsible for child support. Call you local enforcement agency right away and file a claim...they will go after him. In the meantime she can file for welfare.

    Answer by salexander at 5:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.