when is the best age to give video games to a child??

i kinda feel like a rotten mother because my son got introduced to them at both grandparents' house... he even got a DS nintendo as a present.... now theres times when i cant get him off that thing!! and hes only 4!! sometimes i even have to bribe him with it so he will do as i say just so he wont throw a fit in public!!! so if i take it away from him, when can i give it back???

SQ13

Asked by SQ13 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My parents just gave my older 2 a DS this past Christmas - they were 6.5 & almost 8 at the time. It is handy to have once in a while, but they don't have access to it 24/7. I think this was a good age - if anything I'd have waited a year or 2, I wouldn't have given them one sooner. My younger 2 (3 & 5) aren't allowed to use it. We have a Wii for the family - if the kids want to play, they need mom or dad playing with them too. If you're worried about him being addicted to it already, take it away, and only let him play it on special occasions, for a pre-set amount of time.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 6:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• no video games at this house until they can read. Then there are rules about when they can be played with time limitations. They have to do things to get to play them too. Chores, homework, etc...
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Let's see...I didn't get my first until I was 15 and it was a hand me down Atari. On car rides we looked at the scenery, read a book...Kids dont NEED them.

And you shouldn't use it as a bribe...you are setting yourself up for worse. Kids should behave because it's expected of them, not because they will be rewarded
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I say take it away tell he learns how to act with out it. He is to young to be addicted to games. Does he know how to read write. Does he know his collars and numbers

Answer by louise2 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2010