My son is still getting caught in the rails of his crib? everyone said not to get the bumbers for the crib because they are not safe, how is him getting caught and possibly breaking his legs safer?

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bumper pads are really useful when put in correctly.. Correctly means 1/3 to 1/2 of the pad should be below mattress line (at least that is what the directions for the one I had stated). The mattress kept it tight against the bars of the bed, and he couldn't pull it up or wiggle a foot under it.
    Mi_Chelly

Answer by Mi_Chelly at 2:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Bumpers are not safe for a child that can roll, crawl, and/or sit up. They are not safe because they can suffocate, and they really wouldn't prevent your child from getting his legs in the rails.

What would be worst a broken leg or a child dieing from suffocation from a bumper because they got their leg stuck in the rail? I'm not saying that it would happen and you are going to do what you feel is right for your child.

However they don't recommend bumper for any child that is rolling on his/her own because of the risk of suffocation. Is your baby rolling?? Crawling?? Pulling themselves up?? If so he really is to old for bumpers.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree with SAHMinIL. I'd also like to add that I used bumper pads with my 2 older boys and they STILL got their legs caught in the rails!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:11 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• What can I do?
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• First off. how old is he?? If he is old enough to be in his crib, he shouldnt have a huge problem with the bumper. i have a bumper on my sons crib and he has NEVER gotten tangled in it. We just make sure that the bottom of the bumper is setting below his mattress. I would also look into how far apart his crib rails are. and I would also look into those infant sleep positioners. Those wont allow him to roll around
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• According to the OP profile her baby is about 5 months old.

Drs. only recommend sleep positioners for children up to 6 months old as long as they are not rolling over on their own. Once they can roll over on their own you should stop using them because of the risk of suffocation.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• short of find a crib that has rails with less spacing, nothing really....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Poor little guy! Does he get frustrated when he gets stuck in there?? That sounds scary. You might consider putting him in the pack and play for a while.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 9:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If you live in an earthquake prone area, by all means, use your bumpers. They will prevent serious injury to your infant.
    AuroraAFA

Answer by AuroraAFA at 9:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I use the crib bumpers and i never had a problem. I make sure they are in place every night and i'm always aware of my child in the night. I look at the crib bumper situation like this -- if they were truely not safe, then they would recall them! All you have to do is be aware of your child, whether you have a monitor, close to their room or you check on them numerous times. Every parent has their own way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2008