meats that say sell by or freeze by. ..

ok so i have a ton of meat in my freezer,chicken,pork chops and meat that says sell by or freeze by july 20th. DH left 9 dyas ago and i have yet to actually cook dinner. hence the reason for all the meat in my freezer. anyways what i want to know is. .
is it ok to eat these meatz or no ? how long does chicken and porkchops last ? and finally if you take the meat out the freezer and place it in the fridge how long do you have to use it b4 u have to toss it?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 5:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Well first it depends on whether it is a deep freezer that is not attached to your fridge or just your fridge freezer how long it is good. A deep freeze is 12 months from the time you froze it and a regular freezer is 6 months from the date you froze it. It depends on the kind of meat how long it is good in the fridge thawed though. Personally I don't keep any for more then 1-2 days after it is fully thawed in the fridge. This morning I took the roast out to thaw in the fridge that we will eat tomorrow night.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Usually a week after it's thawed, you should either pitch it or use it. YOu should really use any meat that has been shrinkwrapped within 3 months of freezing so burn doesn't set in
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• use or freeze by date means get it in the freezer by that date.

I thaw it the day I want to cook it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If you freeze meat (in freezer Ziploc bags or vacuum seal) as soon as you bring it home, you can store it for up to a year (my rule of thumb), then when you want to thaw/cook the meat, you can refrigerate it uncooked for a week, and up to a week after cooking.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• as long as it's frozen I've heard you can use it until about 6 months after the freeze by date. That's why I like to buy the clearance stuff that is gonna "go bad" within a day or two and freeze it.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I thaw the day I am going to use it, and after three days any unused gets tossed unless I have frozen the cooked food before then. I used to work with a nutritionist and this was her policy. Well-wrapped meat can be stored for up to a year but may lose quality. And this means in a deep freeze, the small freezer attached to refrigerator doesn't get food as cold.

Answer by Bmat at 5:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If you had it in the freezer by the date, it'll be fine for quite a while. When you take it out to use it, use it within 1-2 days. We buy meat (beef & chicken) straight from the farmer, a year's worth at a time, and it's just as good after a year as the day we get it. Same with deer meat, and what little I do get other places.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 6:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Thanks ladies
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010