Ambien?

There have been times during my pregnancy where I have had trouble sleeping, but when I walked into the OBs office yesterday looking like a zombie after not being able to get more than a couple hours of sleep a night for over a week she gave me Ambien. A little while after I took it (after eating) I felt completely wasted. Just wondering about others' experiences during pregnancy and how the babies were too. I don't plan on taking it except in extreme situations like yesterday. Today I feel kinda icky mentally and physically...

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was only given ambien once during my pregnancy when I went in and was completely drained and dehydrated. It was the best night's sleep I EVER had! lol No joke. But I never asked for any more because it was so amazing that I could easily see myself relying on those every night, which is not a route I want to take. But i didn't get the drunk or wasted feeling. I just got really sleepy and next thing you know I am waking up the next morning completely refreshed.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i use a self hypnotic technique to get to sleep. i always thought restless nights during pregnancy were God's way of getting you ready to be up with the baby : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• happy2bmom - yeah, i thought of that too, but frankly i'm pretty good with winging stuff and i've been through this rodeo once, so i figure i'll just try to get some sleep while i can lol. we went waaaay beyond restless - i was so overtired the last week or so that i just found myself constantly pissed off at everyone and everything from lack of sleep - that's no good for anyone!

i did have a couple different things and could often get to sleep eventually but staying asleep was the problem - every little thing woke me up and after the 2nd or 3rd time of waking up i just couldn't get back to sleep for anything. i am generally not into synthetics and am trying to be as careful as i can with what i subject the baby to - especially considering some early problems, a high-risk pregnancy and "advanced maternal age"
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I take melatonin every night. It's a natural hormone that your body produces to help you fall asleep. My body doesn't produce enough of it. It's extremely safe in pregnancy. Ambien will knock you on your bum and leave you feeling icky in the mornings. Not good when you have other kiddos to take care of.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 6:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i love melatonin. funny how you can find plenty of sites that say that's not good to take but tylenol, benadryl, and ambien are - none of which have anything your body produces naturally...
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When you take ambien the best thing to do is go to bed. Alot of people that take it and stay up tend to have the experience you were talking about, or they act out and do things and they dont even remember the next day. Ask your dr is benadryl would be ok take instead. Ambien is a pretty heavy duty medication.
    erin7420

Answer by erin7420 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• yeah, it's probably because i stayed up thinking that i was gonna wait until i couldn't fight sleep - i had actually taken benadryl a few times and that wasn't doing the trick... something just went way out of whack... my doc said she hasn't had any of her pregnant patients who used ambien having the sleepwalking/memory loss thing
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My Dr. Gave it to me after I had the baby...that was the best sleep I have had in a long time ;) I take it occasionally.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my mom takes ambien and it is no joke you better go straight to bed. Im kinda scary though about medications because i just saw a commercial that was asking people if you are a loved one have taken some medication while pregnant and your child was born with a list of deffects"? You know those commercials im talking about lawsuit time. so be careful. Everybody is out for money in america some of those meds are not fully tested right someone just pays off somebody to pass it. be careful gir. Try putting sugur in warm milk it always helps me sleep.
    pilan16

Answer by pilan16 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010