How do you get your picker eater(toddler) to try new foods?

My 27 month old girl has a very limited menu. She's vegetarian(we as a family are). She eats bananas, Cheerios, dry toast, occasionally unfrosted poptarts, Goldfisg crackers, saltines aor other snack crackers, low sugar cookies, cheese pizza, pb, cheese, yogurt, and that's about it. She drinks a lot of 2% milk too, but less than she used too. About 27 ounces a day I'd say, or 3 sippys. She's totally opposed to trying pasta of any kind, I think it's the texture of foods more than anything that she doesn't want to try. Its my fault I guess, should have steered clear of commercial baby foods with their smooth, consistent flavors and textures. She ate every baby food there was! Except pears and peas lol. Now she looks at what the family is eating with curiosity, but when offered the food declines. I know she meets her protein requirements, I make sure of it, plus she takes a multivitamin daily, but is definitely short on veg/fruit

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 5:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• keep offering. Maybe try less sippys to get her to fill up on something else. GL!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• let her help you cook as much as she can. i know shes limited on what she is capable of doing but it will get her more involved and will more than likely get her to try out new foods. :)
    prettiladybyrd

Answer by prettiladybyrd at 6:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If your child won't eat a certain food at a given time, try reintroducing it at a different time. They may not like the tastes at their young ages. I did this with my son who didn't like beans and meat together. He would pick out the beans and put the meat in a separate pile on his plate. They eventually will start liking new foods, but it usually is a slow process. She eats quite a variety of foods. You
    just have to build on that thinking slowly.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We started telling our dd that she had to at least lick it, if she wouldnt take a bite. 9 out of 10 times shell look at us all surprised that its yummy!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I just continue to offer the foods. Sometimes they get curious and will try something they didn't like previously. Sometimes, it's just the preparation. My son wouldn't eat canned pineapple, but when he was offered fresh, he gobbled it up. Good luck!
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 7:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Your daughter's diet seems exactly like my 20 month old son's!! He will eat nothing but toast and goldfish and graham crackers, yogurt applesauce, etc. What I like to do with my son to get some vegetables in his diet is that I give him boca burgers, those soy protien burgers. He loves them, I also like to give him the mott's applesauce that has all different variety, beech nut rice cakes, fruit strips. They have yogurt with vegetables hidden in them, my son loves them Also just keep trying different foods, just a little taste of something new. If she doesn't it that's fine but try in the next week again. My son eventually tried different items on his plate.
    GuardianAngel27

Answer by GuardianAngel27 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010