Breastfeeding and Period

I am 7 weeks postpartum, breastfeeding successfully and I just started my period. Is this normal?? I heard if you start your period your milk will dry up.

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 6:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I too was one of the "lucky" ones who got my period even though I'm 100% breastfeeding! I got it around 12 weeks postpardum and it's been coming pretty consistently every month since. My daughter is about to be 10 months old and we're still going strong with breastfeeding!

My supply dips a bit the week before my period when I'm PMS'ing, but I've never had to supplement or anything.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It can happen. I had my first period about 2 months after my oldest was born, before my 6 week postpartum appointment after my second, and now my youngest is almost 5 months old but no return of my cycle, lol. Breastfeeding isn't 100% Oh, and my milk never completely dried up, even when I got pregnant again, though my milk supply dropped at that point, so don't worry about that.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes that is normal and no your milk will not dry up just because you got your period. I got my period back 8 weeks after my dd was born and still EBF until she was 6 months then nursed until she was 15 months at least 3-6 times a day.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Just wanted to chime in with my experiance as well. I got my period back around six weeks with all four of my children, and I've breastfed for as long as 2-3 years.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Your milk will not dry up magically when you start your period. your supply may dip a little the week before every month, but it will not dry up completely. Second it is possible to get your period back so early, but not likely. I would be tending to lean towards still postpartum bleeding or something else going on. Keep in mind if it is your period you CAN get pregnant so if you don't want to then you need to take precautions. personally I did not get my period until about 15 months with both my kids and the weaned at 18 months and 35 months and I saw very little dip in supply right before my period started.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son is almost 5 months old. I am breast feeding and have gotten my period every other month, the entire time. I still have plenty of milk =)
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• What a relief thanks everyone.
    Fairy_Wings

Comment by Fairy_Wings (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010