Can I give water to 2 months baby?

My baby is 2 months old. She wants to be fed very frequently more than 12 times aday. Is there any possibility of thirst? Can I give her water by now? She is breatfeeding.

NasMoj

Asked by NasMoj at 9:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no, breastmilk has all the right mixture of vitemins, minerals and water she needs. she doesnt need water...I know its hard, but i think she is going through a growth spirt, which in that case, she needs that milk. I was told that if you starve them through groth spirts, they last longer then if you just feed on demand.....
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i was told it is ok to give her water,i gave my baby girl water in a sippy cup.it wont hurt them in any way
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i was told not to...
    but when my daughter would get a tummy ache, i gave her like half an ounce of water and it helped....so im not exactly sure.
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 9:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I gave my LO water when he was that little, but not very much. He played with it in the sippy cup more than drank it, but the doc said it wouldn't hurt as long as he was getting plenty of breastmilk. I would say go ahead, but don't give her much
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 9:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I was told not to so I didnt until he was like 5 months old. My sister in law did on all 3 of her kids and even put a lil of cereal baby kind of course and said that helped but I waited everyone is different ask your doc their thoughts.
    christian0425

Answer by christian0425 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Babies are NOT suppose to have water. Their kidneys can't handle it and they can die of water toxicity. Babies are more likely to suffer from water toxicity than adults. If you're not sure, call your doctor. Also, at 2 months old, a child isn't going to eat more than they need. If she's eating that often, perhaps try giving her a little more at each sitting. That should reduce the number of times she eats a day.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 10:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I wouldn't give any water. Make sure she is staying on one breast long enough to get the hind milk. If she comes of the one side, put her back on the same side before going to the other breast... it might help. Or maybe it's just a growth spurt, my 11 week old just had one and was eating every 2 hours also, it only lasted a couple of days.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2008