How I stop my dog from being a bully?

I just bought a kitten and my 1 yr old beagle tries to play with it but he ends up hurting it. And anytime I bring him around other dogs he plays but he plays too rough. He isn't doing it to be mean. I think he is trying to prove he's the alpha dog. But its embarressing at dog parks because he will play fine with the big dogs but he will chase the smaller ones and bite their feet. But he does this all in fun. (he thinks its fun) I yell at him but he runs away and things its a joke because his tail is wagging.

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 9:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pets

• You have to take back the "alpha" status for yourself. Show him you are boss - he clearly doesn't think so. A way to do this is to command him to obey you several times a day. Make him "lay" and "stay" and don't let him up until you say so - at least once a day and for at least an hour at a time. Make him "sit" before you feed him, take him out, etc. Also, I have heard that dominant dogs should not be allowed to sleep on your bed.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I dont think its nessacarily "alpha". do you walk him before you take him to the park, or do you head straight to the park and let him off? you need to walk him and tire him out and the dog park is a reward for walking (working) so hard. Beagles are very hyperactive and he just needs to work his energy out before he gets to the park.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2008