Has anyone used humidifiers? **Important**

I was wondering if they would work for me. I have asthma and am having trouble breathing at night again, would it help for me to have one in the bedroom with me? Anyone who has any experience with this would be a great help... Thanks

Michele068

Asked by Michele068 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Health

• we have a Vicks Cool Mist humidifier. It works great, our room is about 13ft high, 20x25 ft. I tried it in our living room, which is larger, and it didnt work as well. Small rooms are best.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 6:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sure,but make it a hot air one. Cool air ones tend to accumulate mold.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It can depend on what triggers your asthma and what type of environment you live in. Humidity can trigger mine. If the air is too warm and I use a humidifier, it make me worse. If it is and I have it one, it can help. Do you know what triggers your asthma?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When my son had the croop, one of those baby/childhood illnesses the humidifier was recommended to alleviate some of the symptoms.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Nope, I don't have any idea what triggers it.. besides smoke. I think that is what the main cause was for me. I don't want to go off and buy one for it to not work.
    Michele068

Comment by Michele068 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• have you tried an elimination diet for your asthma?
    have you tried using only natural basic cleaners for your home, like baking soda and vinegar?
    i know someone that quit eating meat and didn't have asthma anymore.
    there is an asthma website in Australia that gives breathing exercises that greatly improve asthma conditions.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't have asthma, but i had very bad bronchitis when I was pregnant. I put a humidifier on my nightstand and it REALLY helped me to sleep without coughing every two seconds. When my son had RSV, i believe it helped him breath better too. Best of luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Actually, the warm air ones tend to breed bacteria. The cool air ones will not grow mold if you clean it regularly.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Really, you would need to ask your doctor first, see what he/she recommends. I think if you dont clean either one regularly they can both grow mold. Moisture is what causes the mold, not heat or cold.
    erin7420

Answer by erin7420 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't have a doctor and that is why I am asking around with people who have had this experience. I have been to the hospital 3 times now for my breathing and tightness in my chest. I like asking people who have used it or has experience with it.
    Michele068

Comment by Michele068 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010