How can I get my dog to stop pulling me on our walks?

I have a beagle who always pulls me. Its like he is smelling other scents of bunnies and squirrels and totally forgets im there. I was him with my 5 month old son (nobody else can watch him) so it gets very difficult (and dangerous) when he pulls me so hard. Please help!

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 9:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pets

• Reading how to train him probably won't work since he already is in this bad habit. I would encourage you to take an obedience class. Our Parks and Rec offers a reasonably priced class. The instructor will help you learn to teach him. It most likely will require a choke chain---they are no inhumane and there is a right way to use them. You only use these collars when on leash--not as a regular collar. You can get him under control but just like a little kid--you have to decide to be the leader and be consistent!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• our boxer pup pulled too. we got a choke chain, they have them in nylon(thats what we have) but you need to put it up high right behind his ears and where its on the vocal cor, it gets very uncomfortable to him when he is pulling and it will help. I suggest either getting some advice from a professional. i personally watch the dog whisperer, Ceasar is awesome!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I was raised around hunting dogs and watched them being taught how to walk on a leash. My dad would keep a very short hold on the leash so the dog couldnt go very far and every time the dog would lunge forward my dad would hold the dog in place and tell him to "Heel"! My dad would do this in an enclosed backyard until the dog got used to the command before he tried walking him around the yard or down the road. Also when he would tell him to heel he would not let the dog keep his whole body ahead of my dad. It lets the dog know he should be walking beside the person not in front of them.
    willandbrismom

Answer by willandbrismom at 11:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Don't get a choke collar. That's just stupid and mean. I worked with training dogs at PetSmart and we just used special leads that prevent them from pulling and allows you a lot of control. They have them at petsmart and petco. Just ask for a trainer and they'll show you the choices you have. These leads stop pulling alomost immediately. A lot of dogs don't care if they are being choked and you'll just end up hurting them. My first puppy was a little beagle and he was hard headed. Good luck!!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 12:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• In my opinion everytime they pull you stop and turn around and walk the other way, that way they learn that pulling won't get them closer to what they want. It worked for all my dogs.
    musiclovingmomm

Answer by musiclovingmomm at 12:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• There is also a product called a gentle leader. It goes over the muzzle of the dog so when you pull the dog back it pulls at the muzzle causing the dogs entire head to turn. Obedience classes or a gentle leader seems to work the best. Choke collars can cause harm if not used properly. Keeping a tight short leash on the dog is very good also. Thats how we taught my Cavalier but she is a soft breed so it was easy to train.
    CavalierMom

Answer by CavalierMom at 4:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• we used the gentle leader b/c at obedience class our dog continued to pull even on the 'choke collar'(which isn't a choke collar if put on properly). the vet recommended the gentle leader and we still use it today b/c it's the only way i can walk the dog and the kids! lol
    ksueditz

Answer by ksueditz at 4:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• GET A GENTLE LEADER COLLAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WORK WONDERFULL. Are recommended by many behavior veterinarians.
    Anonymous

• I have a bullboxer and she pulled like crazy. I watched Cesar on TV and learned a couple of things. I learned that if they start pulling you, then you turn and go the other way and make them follow you. You also hold the leash close and when they start pulling say "BAH" real loud and that gets their attention. you can use any word for this as long as you only use it when they are doing something wrong. My 56 pound dog can now be walked by my 10 year old step son with no problem.
    par4golf39

Answer by par4golf39 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Try a gentle leader head collar or a halti.
    Deb_Jones

Answer by Deb_Jones at 11:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2008