How can I get over the pain of needles?

firstimemom816

Asked by firstimemom816 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As far as an epidural you mean? if so,trust me,by the time that comes,you will be so uncomfortable with the labor,you won't even notice!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You can do some exercises, hypnosis, therapy, breathing/touch/etc focus, distraction, etc...
    Lots of things.
    You plan to encounter some needles?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• So long as the nurse or doc is doing it right, the pain should be short and small.

If you're afraid of needles, close your eyes, and look the other way, and imagine your getting pinched instead of poked.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I used to be anxious about needles,. this is my second pregnancy,..and the birth of the child is so much more "painful"..lol i just look at it as "it has to be done, so just bare it"..now iv's, shots, blood drawn etc dont bother me.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I look away from the person who is poking me and concentrate on relaxing my muscles and relaxed breathing. Thinking about something pleasant and not focusing on the needle also help me.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If you are talking about an epidural, I didn't even feel mine at all. As far as I.V.'s, getting blood drawn, etc, during my pregnancy, I got over my fear of needles really fast. I had to do it so many times that it just became normal. However, if the pain or fear of needles is causing too much anxiety, speak with your doctor about using a numbing lotion that you can put on in the general area about 30 minutes before you receive the shot. I am not sure if they can use it on pregnant women but it is worth discussing it with your doctor to find out if this does cause you a lot of anxiety.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I'm not sure, let me know when you find out, lol. It's funny because I have 3 kids and every time I get any blood drawn or anything to do with needles I literally faint. I actually have a note in my records about having to be laid down in order to do blood work. The nurses always ask me how did I have the 3 kids being such afraid of needles? I usually say there's a prize at the end, lol. With labor, like the previous post says, by the time it comes to you, you won't notice it and will be asking for it. Good Luck and Congrats!!!
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i have tons of tattoos and when it come to hospital needles i get all yucky.. but i have rh negative blood ad if it has to e done so my baby wil be healthy then i just take it
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 7:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010