can you ...??

still get your nails done pregnant?

ok ii know this may be silly but i had my first baby at 17 and my grandma filed my head with so many old wives tales i have noo idea whats truee lol like you cant eat honey i found out isnt true so im wondering if this is true or not or if i can go get my nails done still lol

iloveyall2008

Asked by iloveyall2008 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well....i died my hair!! my doctor said it was okay to do that sort of thing so i guess i believe her!! lol
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 9:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• lol she said you couldnt do it .. but my grandma always said you cant do anything pregnant
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• you can get your nails done if it is well-ventilated. they are more worried with the smell/fumes making the mother sick and the chance for getting an infection. my dr said it was ok to get hair colored and to paint and all as long as you keep getting fresh air and if you start to feel light-headed you need to step outside or something
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 9:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• ok thank you lol i just never know whento belive my grandma lol sometimes she has this way of scaring the crap out of you lol land sometimes she really is right just didnt know about htis time lol thanks again :D
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I had pedicures while pregnant w/my son. After the 5th mth, I couldn't comfortably do it myself (I got big with him) My husband painted them one time for me then said "Just go get them done!" If the place you go doesn't have a real good ventalation system, just take a mask.
    If you ever have a question tho about what she says it true or not, ask your OB. Trust me, they've heard it all!! I was watching Tori & Dean and she actually asked her OB if Stella could puncture one of Tori's internal organs with a fingernail!! Just remember, the only dumb question is the one not asked!!!
    mom2jacqmicvic

Answer by mom2jacqmicvic at 9:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• everything I read reguarding this issue.. said to avoid getting nails done unless it is well ventilated but the effect of the fumes in your local nail salon on the developing fetus is not known.

In large cities, they have special nail salons just for pregnant women and/or people that cant handle the fumes.

I would just ask them if they could sit you closest to the door & ask them if they could open it bc you're pregnant & cant handle the fumes.

as for the honey... your granny probably knew that you couldnt give it to a child under 1 & linked it to the fetus gettin everything you eat while preg. If under 1 bc honey can contain the botulinum spore that in the proper environment may cause the deadly food poisoning botulism & baby's immature digestive system is not yet acidic enough to inhibit the toxi..but mom's digestive tract is acidic, & will prevent a botulinum spore fm growing.

hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 9:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• thanks guys and i didnt know that baout hte nail salons for pregnant women in some cities lol maybe we are luckuy and have one ere in vegas lol .. ill have tolook in to that lol
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2008