For Liberals only please, not looking for a debate here...Liberals how do you deal?

I am the only Liberal in my circle of friends & family. I feel very strongly about my views, but i don't talk about it much. Not even here on CM, i read but stay out of it. Anyhow, i'm really sick of being put down & made to look stupid because of what i believe in. I know i'm going to be called all kinds of things...but i actually like Obama & i like what he is doing. Of course there is room for improvement, but that goes for every human being.

For Liberals, just curious...what are some things that Obama did that you liked or agreed with? I can't be the only one who actually likes the guy here. How do you deal if you are also surrounded by mean conservatives that try to make you feel stupid for what you believe in?

Conservatives, i have heard every put down so you can really save it. I already know how much you don't like the guy...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, for one thing don't take it so personally. It really doesn't matter what others think of you as long as you stand by your own opinion. You don't have to convince others, just yourself.

As far as Obama, I do like him, he is better than McCain would have been. I don't feel I have to automatically support everything he does, I just take it issue by issue. I do find that others try to make me defend Obama's actions or automatically agree, I just don't. You are not required to defend Obama just because you are a liberal, you are only required to defend your own thinking. Unfortunately Obama does not obey every opinion of mine, or yours.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• So what I'm hearing is you're at dinner with extended family and the convo turns to politics (which is never wise but whatever) and several members; or the entire family; start Obama & liberal bashing. Are they calling you out specifically? Are they belittling you at that point? Or at you taking offense to their statements about 'liberals in general'? Which is honestly what it sounds like is happening.

If I'm correct and they're just voicing their opinions and you're taking that as a personal attack; then you're doing this to yourself and you have the power to stop it.

If I'm mistaken and they are directly attacking/belittling you; then you are justified in being angry/offended; but you still have the power to choose to not let them get to you...& if it were me I'd severely limit my time w/ people like that family or not I deserve to be treated w/ respect.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I like Obama too--I am glad he is making the lifelong politicians (both sides of the aisle) uncomfortable--I am glad HCR was passed, I am glad he is sticking to the war withdrawl timelines, I like the tax changes he has made, I like that he is not going to renew Bush's tax cuts for the top tier (it is set to expire anyway--it isn't something new Obama made up), I think he is a genuine person and he is a great husband and father. You aren't alone OP and I am sorry you are already being pummelled for being honest in your question. Those who claim to be all for truth certainly get upset when true for one is different from true for them.
    Stick to your beliefs--ultimately, you are the only one who matters when making up your own mind.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Oh, and how I deal with it is I don't discuss politics with family. I have left the room, event, and in one instance, state, to avoid discussing politics and the ensuing firestorm that would have resulted if I had participated.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• surrender

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Look..this is a public forum and it sounds to me like you have a HUGE chip. Do you think your poor wittle self is the ONLY one? That it ONLY happens to libs? No honey...it doesnt. BOTH sides are guilty of this BS and if you are older then 12 you just need to get over it :)

By the way...CafeMom has groups JUST for liberals where you could have posted this. I call troll or Sh*t starter....one or the other :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When i am with a group of people (IRL) who don't share all of the same values i do I just try and focus on the ones we have in common. If i don't like the way the conversation is going i try and steer it in a different direction.

I guess i don't feel like i always have to share my opinion.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Your question was worded fine, no one should have been offended. I say avoid politics with your family if you can. If you can't keep standing up for what you believe in. I have fought with my husband's side of the family but we do keep it light hearted. I never stand down I always say what I believe. If you can't talk about it with your family maybe you should try to join the discussion on cm. You might like it.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• So,you support Obama, but you have no idea why? Well, isn't that a surprise? That's why he got elected!
    Anonymous

• Well I like the health reform, I also in favor of the immigration reform that we need. I believe immigration is not going to be solved with just deportations but by actually securing the border, charging fines in order to become legal to the undocumented, clean record having people, and reuniting families. I like Obama, I feel he has a lot on his plate and that's why he gets so much nagging. He is only human and can deal with so much.
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010