Changes to CPR

Did anybody else see that they've changed CPR again? For adults now its chest compressions to "Staying Alive" for kids its still mouth to mouth breaths & compressions. IMO its bc ppl are much more likely to give mouth to mouth to a child than an adult. What do you think? Would you give an adult you don't know CPR w/out a mask? What about a child?

For me, I wouldn't give CPR to an adult w/out a mask but would w/out hesitation for a child.

Nyx7

Asked by Nyx7 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Health

• I think it's our mother instinct to do it for a child. If the adult was someone I know, I probably wouldn't hesitate.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Unless it is your job to rescue people (firefighter, EMT, police officer, lifeguard, doctor, nurse), the likelihood of your having to perform CPR on a complete stranger is highly unlikely.

I have been certified in CPR and First Aid for over 30 years, and have been teaching Red Cross CPR and First Aid classes for over 25 years, and I have NEVER had to perform CPR on anyone, while NOT working as a paramedic, lifeguard, or health club manager/personal trainer!

BUT, if needed, and I didn't have a pocket mask on me, I would!! I tell my students that you can poke a hole in a piece of plastic (like a piece of a trash bag or grocery store bag) place over the victims mouth and nose, and breathe through, or you can lift the front edge of the victim's shirt placing it over their mouth and breath through it--in both cases it's better than not having any barrier!! AND, while harder, you CAN perform mouth to NOSE CPR/Rescue breathing!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would use my shirt as a barrier and give mouth to mouth to anyone in need. I would take the risk of getting ill to save a life.

I did see that on the news. I heard about it a few months ago.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I just took CPR last month and they told us that it is 30 compressions and 2 breaths (even for adults). I always carry a mask with me on my key chain just in case. However, if the need of cpr did arise for adult or child, I would do cpr without a mask if I didn't have one.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010